30hz - 150hz horns based on Lab 12?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Folks, I'm looking for a build for my pair of Lab 12's. Though I would also consider single Lab 12 builds.

This will be used along with my Danley DTS-10 and THT which are in opposite corners of the front wall.
I want to use the new Lab 12 horn in the rear of my room towards the top of the wall/ceiling area. I have the ability to mount it between my wall studs with the rear of the enclosure in the opposite room (garage). So I'd prefer it be folded so it's 18" wide to fit between the studs. Otherwise, it can be 94" tall and as long as necessary.

This will be for a Getty style three subwoofer setup to reduce room modes.

Anything out there that might work for me?
It doesn't need to play as loud or low as the DTS-10 or THT. But it should be reasonably smooth up to 150hz if possible.

If the horn pathlength is as long as the DTS-10, that would be a bonus!
The THT will eventually be replaced with a second DTS-10.

Last edited:
That is a difficult request, hard to get a TH to play smoothly over much more than 2 or 2.5 octaves, and using a higher tuned TH with the Lab 12 is not particularly a good use of the driver, and will require a different delay time vs the DTS 10.

Since you are going to need (or want) different DSP settings for different sub designs, you may consider BR (or even sealed) for the Lab 12s.

This design has worked well for me for PA use, for home use you could lower the tuning to 30 Hz by extending the ports if you wanted, which would flatten the response, but loose some sensitivity. As it is, it has a bit of a bump in the 40 Hz range:

FREE SUB PLAN: Dual Lab12 (Front Loaded) by Welter Systems

I have four of the cabinets available for sale, with or without the cones, as I have gone to a TH design for my PA.

Art Welter

Thanks for posting that. It would require a redesign though, as it doesn't fit between my studs (18" interior available).
Re-designs aren't a big deal, but I'd prefer to keep it a horn for time-alignment reasons.

I can't seem to sell my Lab 12 subwoofers, so I might as well put them to use. If I could just get 120hz, I might be happy with that?

.. Though I would also consider single Lab 12 builds.

..So I'd prefer it be folded so it's 18" wide to fit between the studs..

..Anything out there that might work for me?..

..It doesn't need to play as loud or low as the DTS-10 or THT..

But it should be reasonably smooth up to 150hz if possible..

Hi,

Here's a suggestion of what you could do complying with your BW requirement:

Build two OD-TL's using one driver or just by doubling the CSA:s fit two drivers but keep the line length as is.

Not shown in the picture here below:

It,s also possible to build two flat FR T-TQWT's(~130L/driver,116.8dB-max) with f-3dB at ~15 Hz but the upper boundary must then be allowed to be <=115 Hz.

b:)

Attachments

• LAB12-OD-TL.JPG
    LAB12-OD-TL.JPG
    593.6 KB · Views: 518
I do have a MiniDSP EQ which has I think six bands to use.

The wall & studs were customized by me to hold four 15" 16hz tuned subwoofers, but I eventually decided against that. So there is something like 17.9" space BETWEEN the studs. I think it's double-studs on each side for strength.

Bjorno, I'm not up on TL enclosures, but I like the frequency response graph! Did you mean -3db at 30hz?
Any names for that enclosure so I can google it to find out more?

The mass corner of a LAB 12 driver is less than 110hz, it will roll off above that frequency.

The Lab12s in my Keystone TH go out to about 178 Hz before rolling off, though the response is ragged up that high.

In the ported enclosure, response is good to about 630 Hz, other than the port resonance problems around 300-400 Hz.

The response in that region is smooth with a sealed enclosure.

Art Welter

Attachments

• Lab BR,TH.png
    Lab BR,TH.png
    79.7 KB · Views: 296

Attachments

• Don Bunce_LAB12_single fold.pdf
    11.2 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
Hi CZ Eddie,

Maybe something along the lines of Don Bunce's single fold LAB12 tapped horn (see: Collaborative Tapped Horn Project, an number of entries, e.g.: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subw...ive-tapped-horn-project-18.html#post1171530)? You could make use of the additional width (between studs) and height, or use as is. Should be easy enough to optimize in Hornresp.

Regards,

That looks pretty cool, thanks!
Looks like he preferred the folded horn sound better than the tall one. But this horn is just for "filler" to smooth room modes. As long as it doesn't mess up the timing TOO much, it should be okay.

Hi CZ Eddie,

If you want to increase the length of the horn you may have to take a look at the DTS20 (or the Danley patent drawing). I have a similar fold that I played with a while back, but it is more difficult to build. If you have an interest in it I look around and see what data I have on that design.

Regards,

Hi CZ Eddie,

If you want to increase the length of the horn you may have to take a look at the DTS20 (or the Danley patent drawing). I have a similar fold that I played with a while back, but it is more difficult to build. If you have an interest in it I look around and see what data I have on that design.

Regards,

The DTS20 is 18" wide and designed for a 12" sub... I'm very interested! Thanks!

Are those the reconed ones that don't look original? If so that's probably why you can't sell them, and it also means you really should measure them before choosing a cab for them.

Have you measured them? Are the t/s close to original?

Yes they are and I wish I could talk myself into spending $100 for a cheap woofer tester.

just passing through.. but if you're going to go through a level of effort to actually do a 'through wall' application, how much more work would it be to cut a portion of one stud out, and frame the opening with 2x? Hello 36" x the height needed...

That is exactly what I did and I would go for more except I have a wall on both sides. Kind of weird to explain, but suffice to say there is no more room.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.