Subwoofer build - Morel UW1258, 12" Ultimate Subwoofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm looking to build a new Subwoofer... I'm looking at buying this combo -

Morel UW1258, 12" Ultimate Subwoofer with 5.1" VC + Keiga KG5230 Plate Amplifier

Recommended Enclosure:
4.5 cubic foot. Fb ~20hz, F3 ~20hz. Single vent 4" diameter x 8" (add one inch for flared).

Any recomendations on the enclosure?

Thanks,
Andy

Great subwoofer. Goes extremely deep with a 4.5Cu Ft box. The box size is perfect.
If you use thick panels (25mm), either shape shouldn't be an issue as long as you brace the enclosure well. Will be looking forward to your build and listening impressions.
Thread subscribed.

-Dinesh-

Do you already have the driver or can you still choose a better one still?

I've never understood why Morel's pricing was so high, because the product just isn't that good. Bad unit-unit consistency, and even when they're screwed together as intended they aren't exactly designed for linearity.

If you're going through Madisound, look at the Aura NS12-794-4A instead of the Morel. Much cleaner motor. Though if you're willing to do a 4.5 cubic foot box the Aura NS18-992-4A isn't that much more expensive right now and will give you much more clean output than any 12 in a closed 4.5 ft^3 box.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Hi all,

I appreciate the responses!!

I wanna buy from Madisound as I live in Minnesota and have some family in Madison, WI. Some good Cheese Heads in Madison. I built a set of 3 way speakers with SEAS drivers I got from Madisound. I got good help from Madisound and got some leads on speaker designs... A happy customer and my system sounds great! So I'm going with Madisound. And yeah, these Morels are not cheap.

Sooo. I wanna stick with Madisound.

I did call Madisound. The site has an odd detail on this Morel driver.

On the page of the 12" morel Driver you will see
4 Cu Foot Enclosure with a 4" X 17" Vent

On the page of the 12 morel Driver/plate Amp project you will see
4.5 Cu Foot Enclosure with a 4" X 8" vent

I spoke to Tom at Madisound and I think the "4.5 Cu Foot Enclosure with a 4" X 8" vent" is the correct spec. While I was on the line I did ask him about the Aura NS12-794-4A. He said he'd go with the Morel over this. But that both are solid and would sound great. I think he was just being honest as these Aura's are more expensive.

I did look at the BASH... I may have to go with this. The 500 Watt Bash is now on sale for 199.00... Summer Sale deal.

Thanks all for chiming in. I'll be gathering parts for a while and I'll report back as a build takes place. photos and stuff.

Thanks!

I got the Sub built! Great sound and I'm real happy with the Sub!!!

I did end up buying the 300 Watt plate amp from Madisound and not the 500 BASH from Part Express. I have a Bob Latino ST120 Tube amp with some Troels Gravsen designed SEAS speakers... The Tube Amp is about 70 Watts per channel... So I thought this 300 Watt sub amp (on the low Watts side) would pair up well.. The sub gets loud enough anyway.

The sound is excellent. A nice warm Bass that fills the room. I had a decent 8" Boston Acoustic Sub that was probably 15 years old.. Worked fine... This new sub just has a much fuller sound.

I built a box 26" Tall X 18" Wide X 21.5 " front to back. I built using premium grade Maple Ply at about $110.00 a sheet 4' X 8'. I know some may prefer MDF over the solid wood... I like the ply as it is 5 layers of maple and the grains are criss crossed in gain orientation. I use a good bead of silicone where the boards join.. Then I use a bead along all the inside seams... I also use a wood sealing stain inside and out.. I'll put 3 layers of poly on this at some point. So it is sealed.. . Lots of recessed screws. I have one board of re-enforcement inside. Solid box and plenty of Bass punch.

P1020214.jpg
[/IMG]

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.