Wich TH to fit in 45x50x225 cm? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th July 2011, 09:30 PM   #1
Pirmin is offline Pirmin  Norway
diyAudio Member

Default Wich TH to fit in 45x50x225 cm?

Hi all!

I am looking for a subwoofer for my homecinema, I can have relatively large woofer under my screen. Height 45 x With 50 x Lenght 225 centimeters, but I cant do hornresp and I dont realy know what to look for, byt I have a understanding that tapped horn is the way to go, can anybody help me?
Here are some photos of my cinema/mediaroom, not completely finished, but allmost
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...0&l=478632b99e

Mvh

Per Bakkejord
Old 16th July 2011, 02:54 PM   #2
tb46 is offline tb46  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Pirmin,

That looks like it will be a great home theater.

Take a look at Volvotreter's tapped horns. They are all very well documented, and you can take any of the Tangband 6.5" versions, and refold them to fit your space.

Tapped Horns

Another one that comes to mind is lilmike's Insubnia sub using the Exodus Anarchy 6.5" driver, again, refold to fit your space.

Reed Exodus Anarchy 25hz Tapped Horn - AVS Forum

While tapped horns are critical to the specific dirver, they are also pretty forgiving (if you start with a good design) once you have the basic outline defined. Try to get the throat areas as close to the original design as possible.

Maybe this helps.

Regards,
Old 16th July 2011, 09:44 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I have allready looked at volvotreters subs and would realy liked to have the 15" 20hz horn but it is 20 cm to long
Do you really think the 6,5 is enough, can bulid two or even four maybe to fit on each side of the center speaker, will there be a problem if they are firing upwards? And will i miss a lot of low bass in movies?
I got some butkikers wich I can put in the sofa for the lowest oktaves... hmm thinking thinking....
Old 17th July 2011, 03:19 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hi Pirmin,

Only you can decide how much is enough. :-)

If you can live with a big horn similar to Volvotreter's 15" 20Hz horn, I would suggest to go with the LAB12 in a single fold tapped horn. I know somebody is going to get upset, but the length is really not that set in stone once you get the basic dimensions around the driver worked out. You can fudge the length quite a bit without major losses. As an example I'll attach a LAB12 single fold SPL (from Hornresp) at the full design length, and with 40cm take out of the middle (minus 20cm box height).The LAB12 is a good driver, it gives a lot of room for experimentation.

If you can work in multiple enclosures I would go with the Anarchy 6.5". If you want to put two drivers into the same box: mount the drivers close to each other, and double all the cross-sectional areas without changing the path length.

Regards,
Old 18th July 2011, 06:14 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi,
there is also a 230cm version of my Eminence TH:

http://www.volvotreter.de/downloads/...30cm_Rev_0.dwg

The only difference is that L23 is 362,60 cm which results in a maybe 2Hz less low end extension. I just cut the length in the drawing and adjusted things around.

If required, your 225cm can also be achieved by cutting it a litte further down.

Regards Erik
Old 18th July 2011, 08:13 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Wohoo!!!

I will build your design, 230 is possible with a few tweaks...

Thx

Per
Old 18th July 2011, 08:23 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default Post #4

Sorry about the missiong attachement.

Regards,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LAB12_full_v_short.jpg (35.9 KB, 75 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!