Would this crossover work for my sub woofer. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th July 2011, 07:58 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Would this crossover work for my sub woofer.

Ok so im building a sub woofer box for an old sub a friend gave me, I have a crossover from the inside of a technics speaker, the crossover has wires for a tweeter, midrange and sub, if I wired the sub up would I get all the power going through to the sub?

please dont try to kill me if this is totally newbie, gotta start somewhere, thanks, harry
Old 13th July 2011, 09:18 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmrgarry View Post
Ok so im building a sub woofer box for an old sub a friend gave me, I have a crossover from the inside of a technics speaker, the crossover has wires for a tweeter, midrange and sub, if I wired the sub up would I get all the power going through to the sub?

please dont try to kill me if this is totally newbie, gotta start somewhere, thanks, harry
Harry,

If you connect the amp to the input of the passive crossover, and wire the sub up to the woofer output of the crossover, if the sub speaker's TS parameters are identical to the Technics speaker, the subs upper response will be rolled off (probably around 300 or 400 Hz, three or four octaves higher than subs are normally crossed) and (basically) nothing will happen to the sub's low response.

Since it is unlikely that the sub's TS parameters are identical to the Technics speaker, some goofy response curve will probably result.

Passive crossovers are difficult to "get right", even with test equipment.

Have fun, good luck.

Art
Old 13th July 2011, 09:31 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

the LF tap on that board is for a woofer not a subwoofer. The filter is set for between 500 and 800hz. 80-800hz is woofer territory. sorry.
Old 13th July 2011, 10:11 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

what? thats confusing haha, the crossover is from a technics sb-cs7 speaker box, the woofer or low range driver or whatever played right down to 30 hz.. well moved, it sounded good until 40 hz, so I either dont know what Im talking about or something
Old 13th July 2011, 10:48 PM   #5
diyAudio Moderator

Threads merged.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 13th July 2011, 11:23 PM   #6
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

The crossover determines the upper roll-off, not the bass extension,
it won't work. Get a plate subwoofer amplifier, its far more flexible.

rgds, sreten.

Hide this!Advertise here!