Would this crossover work for my sub woofer.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok so im building a sub woofer box for an old sub a friend gave me, I have a crossover from the inside of a technics speaker, the crossover has wires for a tweeter, midrange and sub, if I wired the sub up would I get all the power going through to the sub?

please dont try to kill me if this is totally newbie, gotta start somewhere, thanks, harry:):)

Ok so im building a sub woofer box for an old sub a friend gave me, I have a crossover from the inside of a technics speaker, the crossover has wires for a tweeter, midrange and sub, if I wired the sub up would I get all the power going through to the sub?

please dont try to kill me if this is totally newbie, gotta start somewhere, thanks, harry:):)

Harry,

If you connect the amp to the input of the passive crossover, and wire the sub up to the woofer output of the crossover, if the sub speaker's TS parameters are identical to the Technics speaker, the subs upper response will be rolled off (probably around 300 or 400 Hz, three or four octaves higher than subs are normally crossed) and (basically) nothing will happen to the sub's low response.

Since it is unlikely that the sub's TS parameters are identical to the Technics speaker, some goofy response curve will probably result.

Passive crossovers are difficult to "get right", even with test equipment.

Have fun, good luck.

Art

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.