Unique sub for truck. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th July 2011, 02:11 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Unique sub for truck.

I own a VERY small Ford Ranger. The cab has literally no room for anything. I am upgrading the speakers.

Now that I have caught you up in broken sentence form, here is my idea. I will put a subwoofer in the bed of the truck, and connect it to the cab via a plexiglass channel. The channel would be a rectangle and have to be about 5" long. Kind of like a bandpass where the whole front volume is the port.

I was just wondering what kind of enclosure this would be, what kind of speaker I should use, and anything else pertinent to this decision.
Old 12th July 2011, 02:21 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Well, this would be a 4th or 6th order bandpass sub. You can use something like WinISD to model it.

Personally I would go for a 4th order bandpass design, but that's just my 2c..
Old 12th July 2011, 02:22 PM   #3
bjorno is offline bjorno  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to bjorno
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikipupiba View Post
I own a VERY small Ford Ranger. The cab has literally no room for anything. I am upgrading the speakers.

Now that I have caught you up in broken sentence form, here is my idea. I will put a subwoofer in the bed of the truck, and connect it to the cab via a plexiglass channel. The channel would be a rectangle and have to be about 5" long. Kind of like a bandpass where the whole front volume is the port.

I was just wondering what kind of enclosure this would be, what kind of speaker I should use, and anything else pertinent to this decision.
HI,

That could be done: Look at the first picture in:

H-PAS patent pending to Atlantic Technology

b
Old 12th July 2011, 02:22 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark.Clappers View Post
Well, this would be a 4th or 6th order bandpass sub. You can use something like WinISD to model it.

Personally I would go for a 4th order bandpass design, but that's just my 2c..
So the front volume can be zero?
Old 12th July 2011, 02:25 PM   #5
jbell is offline jbell  United States
diyAudio Member

I had a standard cab '92 ford ranger for a couple years. (similar or smaller to what you have) I put in a 'baffle board' that sealed against the rear of the cab and 'just' had room for a pair of high power 8" drivers flush mounted so the seats would slide back tight to the board. (couldn't really call it a cabinet, but it effectively created a relatively sealed cabinet)

Upgraded doors and cut 2" mid/tweet in the pillars.

It was kinda like one of those vibrating chair kind of things.... it was really cool with the front/rear loading on the 8's. It was almost stealth with the exception of the pillars, no loss of room, and no compromise in the bed. (well, the jack/lug wrench had to find a new home, but that was it)

I know it's not what you are asking -- just fyi...
Old 12th July 2011, 02:26 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorno View Post
HI,

That could be done: Look at the first picture in:

H-PAS patent pending to Atlantic Technology

b
I don't know what I'm looking at. Which picture? The speaker in the article wouldn't work, would it?
Old 12th July 2011, 02:36 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
So the front volume can be zero?
If the front volume is 0, then it is just a sealed design, if the front is volume >0 it would be a 4th order bandpass.
Old 12th July 2011, 02:40 PM   #8
bjorno is offline bjorno  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to bjorno
Quote:
I don't know what I'm looking at. Which picture? The speaker in the article wouldn't work, would it?
I meant the picture of my simulation,you're right not the picture in the article where the function of the in line belly(cavity) is hyped.

b
Old 12th July 2011, 04:42 PM   #9
DrDyna is offline DrDyna  United States
diyAudio Member

I actually helped a friend of mine do this with his Dodge Dakota. He put a sealed cabinet in the bed of the truck about 1 foot away from the front. We mounted wood around it so that it sealed against the front of the bed, basically turning the front section of the bed into a bandpass. We cut a hole through the bed about 6 inches tall and 20 inches wide, and then another hole in the cab, so you could see into the bed (but saw the sub cabinet when it was installed.) We sealed the gap between the bed and cab with rubber.

I think we used a pair of Kove audio 12" in the cabinet with...I believe it was a soundstream amplifier, somewhere in the neighborhood of 2000 wpc.

Needless to say, he liked to play bass music, and let me tell ya, some of the tracks on "Bass Mechanik" would jump his wiper blades off of the windshield by an inch or more.

Sounded the best with the windows rolled down about 4 inches or so.

Edited some oopsies.

Edit2: Here are the drivers we used. http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-a...12-*rare*.html

Last edited by DrDyna; 12th July 2011 at 04:46 PM.
Old 12th July 2011, 04:43 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark.Clappers View Post
If the front volume is 0, then it is just a sealed design, if the front is volume >0 it would be a 4th order bandpass.
Wouldn't it need a port to become a 4th order bandpass?

From what I can tell, it'd act as a sealed box. 5" distance when the wavelengths are measured in feet isn't of much relevance, IMHO.

Hide this!Advertise here!