YAWSTB (Yet Another What Sub To Build) thread?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yeah, I know, and I've read most if not all of it :D

I'm looking on reasonable recommendations for a dual purpose subwoofer, good for both moderate home theater and more importantly great at filling in the lower end for 2.1 channel music.

I've owned and experienced LOTS of commercial subs including Cerwin Vega, Velodyne, Infinity, Definitive Technology, Infinity, Polk, HSU, SVS, Klipsch, and last but not least... M&K....

M&K has always been my preferred brand, the V75mkII (12" 75w sealed box) my favorite model of the half dozen or so I've tried (V125, V1250, MX80, MX90, MX100, and three V75mkII) not because it moves furniture during movies (although it can) but because of how pleasing I found the tight, accurate bass during music playback... and how nicely it seemed to mesh with many different speakers.

Before anyone says "Buy another M&K" this is a company that has gone through financial hardships. There was a few years where the only M&K products you were going to find were going to be used from fleabay, etc. They are now under new ownership but I have read mixed reviews of the new product lineup and like the older versions, they are still relatively expensive and hard to find when you buy them brand new!

That said, since I've discovered DIY front speakers, I thought it made sense to maybe explore a DIY sub too, before I bought something from one of the big brands again. I have a modest amount of room for placement, most of the M&Ks are only a couple of feet cubed, so huge horns or boxes that should really be considered large furniture are mostly out of the question.

Any recommendations for a reasonably priced, reasonably sized subwoofer, especially good at mixing and matching with different speakers for music?

Thanks in advance!

Anyone have any first hand experience with o audio? I'm intrigued. Is the pEQ an actually useful feature or just an addon to make it look cool?

Same with the Dayton subs... I'm considering their Reference Series or maybe the Titanic Mk III. With that 500 amp and some wood I should be able to throw together a pretty decent sub (on paper anyway) for under $400!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.