Mcm 8" 55-2421 Ts parameter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
[QUOTE

Or are you looking to these designs as folding inspiration and want to make a smaller version that takes a pair of mcm's? (which is what I assumed)

It would be kinda cool ....[/QUOTE]

Jebll you are correct I am look at these folding as inspiration or if EPA can come up with something better his folding skill is excellent.

One more from tda

inspiration bass horn folded for 2 mcm8 driver.This one look ez to build.

one more.jpg

Last edited:
The problem I have with tda's or other designs with separate audio paths for each driver as it relates to mcm's, is the scale of the horn path close to the throat. At 8:1 compression, that's 25cm2, which if you have an 8" tall path to house the driver... that's 1/2" by 8"....

Wow... that's tight. The other thing I remember distinctly was that at high of compression ratio, 1/2" x 8" sounds different than 2"x2"... they are both the same area, but it's not the same. A more square aspect ratio works much better.

The problem I have with tda's or other designs with separate audio paths for each driver as it relates to mcm's, is the scale of the horn path close to the throat. At 8:1 compression, that's 25cm2, which if you have an 8" tall path to house the driver... that's 1/2" by 8"....

Wow... that's tight. The other thing I remember distinctly was that at high of compression ratio, 1/2" x 8" sounds different than 2"x2"... they are both the same area, but it's not the same. A more square aspect ratio works much better.

Jbell can you post a drawing of a folded similar to my last post that might work.

Thanks

Jbell can you post a drawing of a folded similar to my last post that might work.

Thanks

not really -- that's kinda my problem. When you start with 25cm2 horn path area at the throat for a single driver, and you have 2 drivers, both using distinct paths -- you end up with more wood than air close to the throat. Also knowing that high aspect horn paths (1/2" x 8" for example) seem to not sound as good at this small of dimension, makes it difficult to to create a 'simple' horn path like what you posted. (It also means your box is goofy looking as it is only 8" in one dimension....)

Also keep in mind, just because you shrink a specific cabinet down in size from 18" driver to 8" driver -- you can't just keep the same number of folds, as those lengths get shorter, and so the box doesn't play as low. More folds are needed. (I know I'm stating the obvious here, apology)

The only way I know to make a dual mcm work REALLY WELL, involves a fold where both drivers fire into a common compression chamber, and then that chamber exits into a single horn path. Once you start there, then about any fold you can dream up works.

So... if you are looking for inspiration for a fold, try and look for something with both drivers firing into a common path.

Hi kornnylike,

For what it's worth: I tried to redraw the Decware WO32 with the MCM 55-2421 in mind, and ended up with an enclosure that has a very peaky response, and is 6dB down @ 50Hz. The path is just not long enough. But I'll post it if you are interested.

I agree with jbell that you would be best served with something along the lines of littlemike's box that I pointed out before.

Regards,

Hey, EPA. Your post #31 says "two series speakers", but your graph says "4 parallel speakers". Which are you designing for? Sorry perhaps the hornresp info makes it plain, but hornresp is still on my "to be figured out" list... :eek:

Following with interest...

Thanks!
one box got 2 series speakers ,grey line is one box. black line is 4 boxes(8 speakers)
2pi space @ 43 volts(aprox 240 watts) each.(not calculating compression figures)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.