Mounting the driver and plate amp - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th June 2011, 04:21 PM   #1
qguy is offline qguy  Canada
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to qguy Send a message via MSN to qguy Send a message via Yahoo to qguy
Default Mounting the driver and plate amp

What do you use to mount the driver (15 inch) and the plate amp to an MDF enclosure. I reckon wood screws would not be ideal. I was thinking of T-nuts ? Sounds good ? Would HEX bolts (is thats whats its called ???) be ideal for the driver ?
Old 28th June 2011, 04:29 PM   #2
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

T-nut are good. So are hurricane nuts and threaded inserts. I wouldn't use hex bolts as they require a socket that has to go around it and that can damage the front woofer gasket. Use Robertson, Phillips, Allen or Torx with a round head, Allen head or panhead.
Old 28th June 2011, 04:32 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I reckon wood screws would not be ideal
Why not? as long as you have a 3/4" board to screw in pre-drill and use #12 robertson roundhead. No problem with my sub amp.
Old 28th June 2011, 04:37 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to qguy Send a message via MSN to qguy Send a message via Yahoo to qguy
Allen Heads!!! .. thats what i meant when i said hex bolts :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Weldon View Post
T-nut are good. So are hurricane nuts and threaded inserts. I wouldn't use hex bolts as they require a socket that has to go around it and that can damage the front woofer gasket. Use Robertson, Phillips, Allen or Torx with a round head, Allen head or panhead.
Old 28th June 2011, 04:46 PM   #5
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

a-k, if qguy is asking what bolts to mount with, I get the feeling there will be some tinkering going on after it is built, hence the suggestions of reusable threads. Old hats like you and me might not pull things apart as often as the newer ones so screws are fine. Also Robertson might not be available in Manila without a special order.
Old 28th June 2011, 04:50 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

its DIY, in my case theres going to be a lot of screwing and unscrewing which may eventually make the hole loose, sounds familiar huh

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio-kraut View Post
Why not? as long as you have a 3/4" board to screw in pre-drill and use #12 robertson roundhead. No problem with my sub amp.
Old 28th June 2011, 04:55 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Cal,

I am in Vancouver / BC right now :-) I would prefer Allen heads and T-nuts. So i guess I am going with these, unless someone objects to these.

Whats the best place to get these ? Online shops would be ok as well as brick and mortar stores

Quote:
a-k, if qguy is asking what bolts to mount with, I get the feeling there will be some tinkering going on after it is built, hence the suggestions of reusable threads. Old hats like you and me might not pull things apart as often as the newer ones so screws are fine. Also Robertson might not be available in Manilla without a special order.
Old 28th June 2011, 04:57 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
screwing and unscrewing which may eventually make the hole loose, sounds familiar huh
can hardly remember.

But you are right. For that kind of diy I have to agree with Cal. Allan bolts and T-nuts work well. I use them to mount speakers. The reason there: due to cabinet vibrations I had some screws come loose..no, not there, the ones that I used to mount the speakers. And after several rounds of re tightening...the holes wore out...if I could only remember...
Old 28th June 2011, 05:04 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

When you pre-drill the hole for the bolt, do you use a larger bit to make the bolt slide through going straight to the nut or do you use a smaller diameter bit to make the threads bite into the mdf and into the nut for an air tight seal ?
Old 28th June 2011, 05:14 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
a-k, if qguy is asking what bolts to mount with, I get the feeling there will be some tinkering going on after it is built, hence the suggestions of reusable threads. Old hats like you and me might not pull things apart as often as the newer ones so screws are fine. Also Robertson might not be available in Manila without a special order.
Reusable threads are a good idea, but can be added if one does re-use an enclosure enough to wear out the threads in the material.
A toothpick and glue will fix a loose screw hole too.

I tried at least a half dozen different speakers in an MDF cabinet prior to finally selling it a few weeks ago, and none of the screw holes had stripped out.
Of course, knowing how easy it is to strip MDF, I always torqued the screws by hand.

Hide this!Advertise here!