Mounting the driver and plate amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
a-k, if qguy is asking what bolts to mount with, I get the feeling there will be some tinkering going on after it is built, hence the suggestions of reusable threads. Old hats like you and me might not pull things apart as often as the newer ones so screws are fine. Also Robertson might not be available in Manila without a special order.

Cal,

I am in Vancouver / BC right now :) I would prefer Allen heads and T-nuts. So i guess I am going with these, unless someone objects to these.

Whats the best place to get these ? Online shops would be ok as well as brick and mortar stores

a-k, if qguy is asking what bolts to mount with, I get the feeling there will be some tinkering going on after it is built, hence the suggestions of reusable threads. Old hats like you and me might not pull things apart as often as the newer ones so screws are fine. Also Robertson might not be available in Manilla without a special order.

screwing and unscrewing which may eventually make the hole loose, sounds familiar huh

can hardly remember.

But you are right. For that kind of diy I have to agree with Cal. Allan bolts and T-nuts work well. I use them to mount speakers. The reason there: due to cabinet vibrations I had some screws come loose..no, not there, the ones that I used to mount the speakers. And after several rounds of re tightening...the holes wore out...if I could only remember...

a-k, if qguy is asking what bolts to mount with, I get the feeling there will be some tinkering going on after it is built, hence the suggestions of reusable threads. Old hats like you and me might not pull things apart as often as the newer ones so screws are fine. Also Robertson might not be available in Manila without a special order.
Reusable threads are a good idea, but can be added if one does re-use an enclosure enough to wear out the threads in the material.
A toothpick and glue will fix a loose screw hole too.

I tried at least a half dozen different speakers in an MDF cabinet prior to finally selling it a few weeks ago, and none of the screw holes had stripped out.
Of course, knowing how easy it is to strip MDF, I always torqued the screws by hand.

I have used wood screws for 8 of my subwoofer builds (including 2 LMS-5400 builds).
I see no reason to waste time on something fancier. I also care little about fancy bracing ;)

Of course the popular choices is T-nuts so go ahead and use them if you feel unconfortable with woodscrews.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.