60ndown's Merged Subwoofer Thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
projecting bass forward (not omnidirectional)

ive built maybe 30-40 subs in the last 25 years, all seem to perform better when the driver/s are facing away from me, it seems to me that listening to the reflected wave makes the bass/sub bass smoother/deeper.

im talking typically about 60 hz and down ;)

i want to build a new sub, but i want to have the output aimed directly at me, not reflected.

ill be using (4) 6" subs i pulled from some thrift store speakers i have :)

im good with a tape measure and tools, and am not afraid of scaling a design intended for 18s :D

anyone know of a 'great' design and a link to some plans i can build?

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
ive built maybe 30-40 subs in the last 25 years, all seem to perform better when the driver/s are facing away from me, it seems to me that listening to the reflected wave makes the bass/sub bass smoother/deeper.

im talking typically about 60 hz and down ;)

i want to build a new sub, but i want to have the output aimed directly at me, not reflected.

ill be using (4) 6" subs i pulled from some thrift store speakers i have :)

im good with a tape measure and tools, and am not afraid of scaling a design intended for 18s :D

anyone know of a 'great' design and a link to some plans i can build?

I don't know whether it is physically possible. At bass frequency wavelengths, the driver acts as a point source so will always tend to be omni.
Baffles and reflectors to 'channel' the radiation will necessarily have to have dimensions related to those wavelengths, ie several/many meters. Look at a bass horn: the mouth area is huge.

jan didden

I don't know whether it is physically possible. At bass frequency wavelengths, the driver acts as a point source so will always tend to be omni.
Baffles and reflectors to 'channel' the radiation will necessarily have to have dimensions related to those wavelengths, ie several/many meters. Look at a bass horn: the mouth area is huge.

jan didden

i see subwoofers designed for rock concerts, where all the sound is projected forward,

and subs for the corner in an HT system.

I want to build a small rock concert sub :xmasman:

...subs... all seem to perform better when the driver/s are facing away from me...
Interesting.
At bass frequency wavelengths, the driver acts as a point source so will always tend to be omni.
Yes, the deep bass will be omni-directional. However the speaker also creates distortion and noise ("chuffing" from ports etc) at higher frequencies where radiation is more directional.

So although speaker orientation may not affect the bass itself, it may well be a good idea to have the distortion and noise aimed away from you rather than towards you. :scratch:

This article on the Void Accoustics website will help explain about directional bass arrays.
http://www.voidaudio.com//pdf/bass guide.pdf
As mentioned by Zero D this involes using drivers in groups of 3.
Some bass arrays use bins in groups of 3 (for example Martin Audio)
Some use 3 drivers in one box with 2 facing forward and one facing to the rear such as D&B Audio
d&b audiotechnik -J-SUB.
To get these arrays to work they use digital speaker management systems.

i see subwoofers designed for rock concerts, where all the sound is projected forward,

and subs for the corner in an HT system.

I want to build a small rock concert sub :xmasman:

You want to build a time aligned rear canceling array??? with 4 drivers...

ok, I'll need some blue tack, a roll of duct tape, and night vision goggles. :D

sorry, i had to...

Last edited:
Find you the 1955 Radio Electronics "Karlson K15" plan.
Its intended as a full range, but excels at midbass.
Front chamber will throw huge volumes of air.
Reaches down plenty low enough for Rock...

I play bass guitar in Drop D, and this is what I use.
Its also great for drums, and will replicate kickdrum
like no other single cabinet of its size...

Claims wide dispersion, true enough for midrange if that matters.
But midbase kick is a floor hugging vortex thats quite directional.
Aim directly at the audience for optimal loading, this one defies
the usual logic. Does not load better facing into a wall or corner.

Plans here: 1954 Ultra Fidelity plan will do, same thing basically...
http://gainclone.com/Karlson/index.php?topic=790.0
Its also qualifies as a one sheet wonder (Cut from a single 4x8).

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.