DIY with B&W ASW 855 drivers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th June 2011, 04:32 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default DIY with B&W ASW 855 drivers

hi, i intend to make serious SQ subwoofer kicking below 60Hz the upper spectrum is covered by 802 powered by KRELL FPB 600, Pre amp is krell krc-HR and dac is accustic arts DAC3 MK4.

Now i have 4 B&W 855 drivers at hand, a long story how i got them, they are around 400GBP per piece. so only using them is the option. i intend to make dual pull push subwoofers, powered by dual peavey 2600 amplifiers 600+600+600+600 each channel. so each subwoofer would get6 00 watts whereas the drivers could easily sustain 1000W.

My request is regarding guidance whether to go for pull push configuration to reduce space and increase SQ or to go for original sealed B&W ASW 855.As I want real real low Frequency capable subwoofer how can i get design/T/s parameters for the driver.

Thanks in advance
Old 24th June 2011, 07:24 PM   #2
DrDyna is offline DrDyna  United States
diyAudio Member

The original B&W cabinet isn't going to do you any good without the amp (and it's EQ) that went with it. You're going to be better off building cabinets for them. I couldn't find T/S parameters for them.

A bi-amp with a Krell on one side and a ....peavey on the other has got me scratching my head.

Ah well, carry on.
Old 24th June 2011, 09:01 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the input. as far i think all subwoofers now have class D amplifiers. the peavey is also a switching amplifier, however i intend to upgrade the amp to AB class in future.1000w per woofer and four of them would be an expensive proposition just for the amps to drive subwoofer, but i have belcanto in my mind for future upgrades.

My request is to assist on the design the sub with pull push configuration, i can do parametric equilization bass boost/cut for sealed sub wiht dsp equilizaions. just wanted to know general views on the strategy. would it be musical would it be go really down below 20 HZ
Old 24th June 2011, 09:30 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

600w is enough for ~26db transient peaks, That's enough for most. a push pull design does not use less space (unless you'r talking about isobaric), you'd need between 5 and 7 ft^3 for each pair in sealed boxes.
Old 25th June 2011, 10:44 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Any idea about ow level equilization required as its sealed it would have gradual but earlier roll off at what frequency i have no idea , the B&W claims i has -3db at 20 Hz and -6db at 14 hz , similarly i have no idea about its senisitivity and Fs.

regards

Hide this!Advertise here!