Yamaha 2x18

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Didn't read this entire thread but if you're into the work I personally think this is definitly worth it.
diyAudio.

FR.png

Last edited:
The Yamaha SW218V is 4Ω, so you run one box per channel in stereo. You must use a high pass filter at 40hz or so.

In general, 2Ω loads are a poor choice for an amplifier, unless it is rated to drive 1Ω. I might load an amplifier rated to 2Ω with a 2Ω load in an emergency, but never on a full time basis.

The Yamaha SW218V is 4Ω, so you run one box per channel in stereo. You must use a high pass filter at 40hz or so.

In general, 2Ω loads are a poor choice for an amplifier, unless it is rated to drive 1Ω. I might load an amplifier rated to 2Ω with a 2Ω load in an emergency, but never on a full time basis.
Although I avoid any long cable runs at 2 ohms, I never had any problems loading my CA-9s at 3 ohms per side, and am presently running them bridged mono into a 4 ohm load, the equivalent of a 2 ohm load. No problems even with the sun hitting them on 100 degree days.

The Speaker Power SP1-4000 plate amp, rated for two ohm operation, runs cool with four Lab 12, a nominal 1.5 ohm load.

Some amps fold up like a cheap suit below four ohms, others have no problem with two.

Not all amplifiers rated at 2 ohm are actually designed considering a 2 ohm load as "normal operation". Sometimes 2 ohm operation involves over-stressing components or producing more heat than things are intended to handle, resulting in long term failure and poor overload behavior, but *not* in the stuff I design.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.