First time designing a sub, please check my work - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th August 2003, 09:02 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default First time designing a sub, please check my work

So I decided on the Peerless 831858 that is on sale at madisound. Using Winisd, I have decided to put it in a 32L box tune to 28Hz using two 1 in diameter 4in length ports.

The curve looks pretty flat and the extension and group seems good for music as far as I can tell with my limited knowledge. So how is this setup? Does it look alright? Any comment is appreciated. Thanks!

PS. This is a sub that will be eventually use with a pair of super elf or elf 1.5 as my computer sound system.
Old 17th August 2003, 03:45 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I don't have specs of this particular driver to model it in my copy of Lspcad, however 1" diameter ports seems a little on the small side to eliminate air speed noises. May be better to use 2" or 3" ports and make them longer to get required tuning.

Cheers
Old 17th August 2003, 05:23 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I calculated the port diameter and length via isd online and this give a vent mach less than 0.16 which should not give me any port noise.
Old 17th August 2003, 05:37 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to zx3chris
never used the winisd online version--i suggest u download the alpha pro and use that.. possibly the online version is estimating at 1w of power---did you enter in the max power you will be deliving to the sub as a parameter as well??

-chris
Old 17th August 2003, 05:42 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I put in 100 watts as the max power. Is this correct?
Old 17th August 2003, 05:47 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

just redid it with 150watts and its still fine.
Old 17th August 2003, 07:00 AM   #7
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Driver specs?

BTW, WINISD has errors in it, so be forewarned! Also, <5% mach vent speed (0.05) is where you need to be for best performance as long as the pipe doesn't get too long for the sub's intended BW. 16% will be audible unless some means is used to damp it, though I've had folks tell me that subs with a 20% calculated vent mach sound fine to them, so YMMV.

GM
Old 17th August 2003, 07:02 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

yes i must compare sub sim,dosbox,winisd old,new and any other i can find...see what teh diff is

my winisd 33hz box turned out just how winisd said-=also a mate with a good spreadsheet double checked it
Old 17th August 2003, 08:28 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Unixbox tells me I will have problems with that port size Guess its back to the drawing board. Thanks for pointing that out.
Old 17th August 2003, 02:19 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

OK

Found some specs on this driver. Lspcad shows for this box size & tuning minimum 2 ports 50mm dia (2") by 310mm long (12") - better would be 2 50mm ports 280mm long in a 49.8 litre box - tuning point would be 22.7Hz.

Cheers

Hide this!Advertise here!