First time designing a sub, please check my work - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th August 2003, 12:56 PM   #21
Banned

Send a message via MSN to SkinnyBoy
ahum.. Australian $$... I have looked on ebay... and I wanna make a box that is very low, or can be stood on its side or back for placing behind a sofa etc.. my old 10inch driver had a 3mm X-max.. sounded fine to me, went fairly low and fairly loud... I wanna go lower, flatter, and even louder, which 2 8inch Venoms should do... lol
Old 18th August 2003, 01:18 PM   #22
postman is offline postman  Australia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to postman
Dont be put off by the cheap looks of the venom, ive currently got 1 in a 40 litre ported box tuned to 35hz if i remember right, and it does great for music, can go really loud too if needed.

Only problem is they have trouble playing down really low, but u cant expect much better from a 8" for 40 $au.

The 5mm of xmax doesnt seem right to me, when u push the venom pretty hard it moves like 1.5 inch peak to peak, and still sounds fine, doesnt overdrive or anything.
Old 18th August 2003, 01:26 PM   #23
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by postman
Dont be put off by the cheap looks of the venom, ive currently got 1 in a 40 litre ported box tuned to 35hz if i remember right, and it does great for music, can go really loud too if needed.

Only problem is they have trouble playing down really low, but u cant expect much better from a 8" for 40 $au.

The 5mm of xmax doesnt seem right to me, when u push the venom pretty hard it moves like 1.5 inch peak to peak, and still sounds fine, doesnt overdrive or anything.

yeah.. I want a cheap driver that'll take a fair bit of power, suit a smaller box, handle high cone excursion (weather its linear or not doesn't really matter) and that'll match up nicely with some 4inch mids and tweeters.. something that will outperform all those overpriced computer speakers and home theater systems (rated at about 50watts total)... so... yeah....

My friend wants to buy my "old" Technics amp... he said $70, I said $30, he said thats not enough... lol okay... $50 it is..
Old 18th August 2003, 02:12 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

If its anything to compare to, my ported venom, goes louder and deeper and sounds better than my friends alpine type s sub that he uses for his home. But thats not saying much :P
Old 18th August 2003, 03:19 PM   #25
Banned

HAHAHA!! what size alpine are we talking about? I suppose its not in a very good enclosure for room use though... lol
Old 18th August 2003, 03:24 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

12" alpine type s, hes got it in their recommended enclosure too, he uses his type s for his car too, and we tried the venom out in his car with his alpine m300 monoblock or whatever it is, and the venom came out on top in the car too :P
Old 18th August 2003, 03:27 PM   #27
Banned

we are still talking about an 8inch venom in a 40litre ported, right? lol
Old 18th August 2003, 03:34 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Yep haha :P

My 50 dollar sub all up, whips his 350 odd dollar sub ezpz :P

Heres a few pics of it, sorry bout the shocking quality :P

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 18th August 2003, 03:36 PM   #29
Banned

alright.. thats it.. I am advising my friend to get 2 8inch Venom subs... that way we are getting 4 total, and get them cheaper from Jaycar, and don't have to play postage from Advance Audio and Electrical... YAY!!! you reccon 2 8inch subs in a 60litre tuned to 35Hz would be alright? hehe..
Old 18th August 2003, 03:39 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Im actually going to make another box the same as the one above and use them for my "music" subs :P

2 venoms would probably go pretty good in a 60litre, best to model it up in winisd though :]

Hide this!Advertise here!