Small, Lightweight Subwoofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I don't have the skills to model it but perhaps mass loading a speaker in a sealed enclosure would help (by reducing Fs)?

I have modeled some likely drivers and it is hard to get a peak at 70hz. I continue to wonder though if the dip relates to the placement of the sub in any case.

WinISD has a "mass added to cone" function. Driver efficiency can drop considerably, so watch those power requirements.

zman, you'd be lucky to get such a bandwidth out of a tapped horn.
If you could drop the requirements to 80Hz, that would make things easier.
That driver's larger sibling (the 6.5" version) has been shown to work well in many tapped horns. I have 2 of them hitting 25Hz. Just about.
A single 5"... I'm not sure that would be enough to go so low.

Chris

The 8" model certainly offers more displacement. To be honest, I'm not the one to be asking to simulate things in Hornresp. I can get graphs out of it, but nothing great.

If you wanted wide bandwidth, I'd consider sealed or ported. Maybe a front loaded horn (think it's jbell that's done some work on these).

Are you sure you want to go to 20Hz?

My response was primarily for the OP, who did not specify a budget. 10kg is a lot though, but I doubt it'll hit fuel econemy too hard in most cars?

Lightweight box construction can be achieved by using thin plywood (perhaps even 9mm) but with a lot of shelf braces to increase rigidity (as per post #3). Actually should work out to be a very effective construction for a bass cabinet.

A sealed design can be made to an irregular shape without concerns about how to install the port, ie; it could be a very flat box without concern about where to install a long port. Sealed response roll-off should better complement cabin gain too.

25 Hz- 80 Hz is good.

Would you know what's the F3 and F10?

The F3 is 25Hz, but they roll off too fast for the F10 to be usable.

anarchy%20driver%20comparison.JPG

The black line is the Tang Band.

Mick, if you wanted to experiment with tapped horns in hornresp, I found this diagram very useful:
05613_Tapped_horn_Hornresp_122_1037lo.png

Chris

Thanks Chris I will :) Am kinda buried in electronics related experiments (crossovers and and headphone amps mostly) ATM thanks to Rod Elliot's site. But before long enclosure design is going to have to smarten up (further).

I have recently put a sub in our second car, for listening to Bach's organ works mostly, perhaps a horn will get me down even lower than I can go currently in the lounge.

I'll get out of the way now, thanks.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.