TH-18 Flat to 35hz! (Xoc1's design)

They work well together, but the TH-118 can use almost double the power as the TH-115 without any problems.
Yes I will most likely get another TH118 for larger gigs the TH115's work well on small to medium and I guess on some large I used them a few time's at a club and the stage is the front and behind the stage plate glass windows I seriously thought they were going to crack.
:cool:

Finally finished reading the whole thread, so let me just say thank you for all those involved for the fantastic information.

I have modeled the design found on page 1 with the B&C 15PS100 in Hornresp and although the predicted frequency response looks good to me, I was wondering if someone more experienced could double check if this driver works in this cabinet.

Reason I picked the B&C 15PS100 (4 Ohm version) is because I already have access to QSC GX7 amplifiers. They output 725 watts into 8Ohms and 1000 watts into 4Ohms per channel.

So if this driver models nicely in Hornresp, will I be safe with running it with 1000 watts?

Its quite interesting that the TH115 and TH118 can be used together.
The TH118 is basically the same as the TH115 with a 18" driver shoehorned into the 15" cabinet. Maybe this should give hope to DIY builders with unmatched bass drivers.
The difference in the power handing between the 15 and the 18 was the motivation behind designing a DIY 18" TH cab in the first place.:D
The performance of the Danley TH115 -118 is legendary. Independently tested data of the actual performance is harder to find.....:rolleyes:
Regards Xoc1

So if this driver models nicely in Hornresp, will I be safe with running it with 1000 watts?
Check the cone excursion at 1000W. Also check out the filter wizard. Once you have scared yourself with the excursion then try to find how much to subtract for thermal compression.
Some builders have run the TH18 at 1600W+ with a proper high pass filter. Most 18 drivers seem to theoretically run out of Xmax at 800 to 1000W in the TH18 so the practical rule of thumb is find the theoretical xmax power and double it!
I know that some 15" drivers have been run at 1KW in the Tham 15 but that is a lot smaller cabinet.
If you have the choice I would go with a 18" driver the power handling is far better.

"E" Ticket ride !!!

I stumbled onto this project a few days ago, and it has been an "E" ticket
ride ... and a long one too. Let me just say thank-you to all who had a part
in this project.

I especially enjoyed the adventures of KCTESS5, and his 4-sub build. Glad to see that he was accepted by MIT. I'm only 20 miles south of him, and I would
like to see the subs in action.

Every time I see an interesting cabinet, I just have to take a crack at it. Here
is my version of Xoc1's TH18.

Attachments

• Xoc1.gif
    Xoc1.gif
    6.5 KB · Views: 937
Last edited:
Oh, OK - I'm in Sacramento. What amps will you be using to power your 15s and 18?

I'd enjoy doing some side-by-side comparisons with some DSL boxes.

What tops are you using and how do you like them?
I have two Crown xti2000's that I'm running in bridge mono in each TH115 2000 watts @ 4 ohm each and I have a Crown xti4000 that I will use for the TH118
3000 watts @4 ohm. I have several tops but have been using Klipsch KP302's and Klipsch LSI , commercial version of the La scala's, I may get a pair of Danley's SH line tops I'm not sure I've spent enough over the past few months.

^I'd still really like to do some side-by-sides
That would be cool I'm going to run two TH115's and the TH118 together Chad at Danley had told me the combo has a unique sound and I must say running one TH118 and a TH115 is amazing it seems tighter and of course lower. I'm going to use them Saturday night at a club where I do a Disco Night once a month .

It'd also be cool to compare your three with three of my TH-18 and compare the qualities. I'll be running all four of mine off of two PLX3402 this Friday. Last time we stacked 4 high. Sounded great. We may stack the same if not 2x2.
I'm down in Santa Barbara thats a way's from Sacramento :confused:
I was checking the spec on the TH118's B&C 18SW115 woofer very impressive .