TH-18 Flat to 35hz! (Xoc1's design)

Well, this was fun

Attachments

• TH-18 stack of 4 tall edit.jpg
    TH-18 stack of 4 tall edit.jpg
    280.7 KB · Views: 905
here's what I have almost got build need some boxes for the all in one horns and a little more wiring ,I have 2 Inukes that are to be here tomorrow, so I hope all will be ready for a test,I have 2 more on order but won't see them till june I'm running all chanels active out a DEQ2496 so I have 2 350 watt amps to test with for the subs,and a 6 channel 150 watt each chanel for the dm-2should be enough horsepower to at least get them broke in ,if the nieghbors don't through me out,They have seen me building and want to hear them so maybe a block party is in order,lol. Bar B Que and beer and some music,lol.
The pictures on black aren't real good sorry,:smash::headbash:
NoSmoking

Attachments

• DM-2 and subs 003.jpg
    DM-2 and subs 003.jpg
    593.9 KB · Views: 844
  • DM-2 and subs 004.jpg
    DM-2 and subs 004.jpg
    503.5 KB · Views: 754
  • DM-2 and subs 006.jpg
    DM-2 and subs 006.jpg
    498.8 KB · Views: 720
Last edited:
Nice work Justin,
How was the "show"? Cops???

The show was successful. The headliner was nice to hear (Cloud D) as his style was deeper, more spaced out (opposed to the noisy mid-rangey stuff) dubstep/purple/un-categorizable selections.

We were in the basement - so, it was pretty contained (upstairs rattled quite a lot though). Cops don't typically show up anywhere around here unless there's violence.....or a random drunk homeless person passed out, unresponsive, in plain sight in the parking lot, laying against the building.

Crescendo,

Are those grills the Dayton flat metal grills from PE? Any rattling / flexing issues with them without a "bow" in the grill shape?

Also, what does the entire system look like with those 4 TH-18's?

Yeah, Dayton square hole.
  • The 1st temporary mounting method was on the face of the enclosure. Screws about every 6-8 squares. A bit of rattling when rolling the cabs and virtually no rattling during the show, IIRC. I think the grill made just a tad bit of noise during a certain frequency (~70Hz? - wild guess)
  • The next method, I PL'd 1" strips of my 3/4" baltic to the inside of the mouths and mounted the grills there. To my surprise, I was greeted with more rattle - both while rolling cabs around and during bass notes at more frequencies.
  • It wasn't until I placed acoustically transparent foam behind the grills. That's when all ratlles disappeared. I still need to find the proper way to do this. At the time, I sprayed fabric "glue" to the back of the grill and layed it onto the foam. I thought about laying a piece of ply on top until the glue set, but perhaps there's a stretching method that works miles better. I'll have to look it up. The foam kinda waves at you in one of the cabs.

Started a new build this weekend, needed by the 10th of next month. Four TH18s to replace my 'indoor' subs. Power is a CA18 or RMX5050 in 2-channel mode, drivers 18TBW100. The TBW's were actually chosen for a future outdoor rig, which will be in development a while and optimized around those. In the meantime, I need to replace my smaller front loaders which have Kappa P15LF2's in them and they really get pissed and object to that much power. Question is - with the TBW's in the TH18, do I want cone correction or no? I'm getting to the part of the build where I'll need these pieces cut out.

Both. Just curious what setup you're running with 4 of these to keep up both midbass and midrange / highs

We use a pair of Peavey SP 4G dual 15" towers for tops. They seem to get a little dirty when pushed pretty hard with our XTI2000 (before the limit light illuminates). I'm working on a pair of HS12's right now. Looking forward to a 3-way synergy build sometime after I get some more knowledge under my belt.

"They seem to get a little dirty when pushed pretty hard"

A 1" compression driver will become quite dirty trying to keep up with a pair of 15s.

A medium (3" diaphragm) or large format driver (4" diaphragm) will sound a lot more open and less stressed.

Makes sense. Thanks for that. What design/method would you suggest for stacking to allow the drivers to all integrate well?

3 way synergy crossover network seems like it will be very complicated. Hope it works out!

It's sort of seeming that way. I'm after high fidelity PA and open to suggestions.