TH-18 Flat to 35hz! (Xoc1's design) - Page 98 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th September 2012, 06:57 AM   #971
diyAudio Member

ahh !! I see now ,Thanks,

Thanks,
NS
Old 18th September 2012, 07:09 AM   #972
NEO Dan is offline NEO Dan  United States
diyAudio Member

I found a REW setup video that is geared toward room acoustics evaluation but it will get you going and from there I can show you the finer points on getting a good anechoic measurement of your sub.

Room EQ Wizard: REW Room Measurement Tutorial - YouTube
Old 18th September 2012, 07:21 AM   #973
diyAudio Member

great,
Thanks I 'll go take a look!
NS
Old 18th September 2012, 11:13 AM   #974
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noSmoking View Post
Hi guys,
I'll take a look but I did check them and they were close some not perfect but with in a 1/4" .
I made some more pics I have to put in one more stiffener and put the side on,
NS
I see you put insulation in the back top corner where a lot of us cut holes for handles. Do you plan on putting your handles on the exterior? Or flush/cut-out somewhere else?

Quote:
The next thing is some WHEELS this is getting heavy and will be more than I can lift when the speaker goes in,lol thinking about doubling the bottom panel ot at least some large pieces for the casters to mount on,
Time to build the voltage probe for ARTA,,,,,,
NS
You could put some casters on the back bottom diagonal panel - they'll also act as tilt-back prevention there. Total height of the casters will have to be smaller than 4" (IIRC) if you want them centered back there. I have exact dims somewhere...and what casters I went with somewhere else...

Quote:
Hi Crescendo,
Nice builds you got some woodworking skills nice job!
Thanks for those links,
Cheers,
NS
Thanks - means a lot. I worked a lot of hours. For some reason, I cared a lot about what they'd look like on the inside - knowing it wouldn't make them sound better. I just wanted them to look delicious since I figured they'd sound that way.

I'm working on inset grills. Almost finished. I'll post pics when they're completed.

Anyone know where to get plastic/polyurethane strips to mount on the back of cabinets to prevent scuffs/scratches from loading/unloading? Kinda like how oldschool fishtail skateboards used to have on the bottom.

Any thoughts on acoustically transparent foam behind the grills?
TCH
Reliable Hardware
Clark Foam
(found these links on PSW)
Old 18th September 2012, 11:33 AM   #975
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEO Dan View Post
I found a REW setup video that is geared toward room acoustics evaluation but it will get you going and from there I can show you the finer points on getting a good anechoic measurement of your sub.

Room EQ Wizard: REW Room Measurement Tutorial - YouTube
Nice video. He's got some other interesting ones as well.
Old 18th September 2012, 01:36 PM   #976
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRESCENDO View Post

TCH
Reliable Hardware
Clark Foam
(found these links on PSW)
Seems like at the frequencies you're going to be running that you wouldn't necessarily need to spend extra money on "acoustically transparent foam". The filter foam looks like it would be inexpensive and easy to use... don't have any real world experience with it though.
Old 18th September 2012, 01:49 PM   #977
diyAudio Member

Sorry, I should've specified - I was thinking more along the lines of protection from liquids & debris - w/o interrupting acoustics.
Old 18th September 2012, 03:22 PM   #978
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRESCENDO View Post
I'm working on inset grills. Almost finished. I'll post pics when they're completed.

Foam can help eliminate the ringing of metal grills.

I prefer (non-organic) grill cloth, it does not ring, and is easy to clean and does not retain odors.

I have not used foam grill since the mid 1980's, when loading out on the last day of a Gang of Four tour, New York City stagehands managed to set most of the tilt back cabinets grill down in the street gutter which was flowing with dumpster juice.

We gagged when we opened up the truck back in St. Paul, the grilles went directly in to our dumpster.

Art Welter
Old 19th September 2012, 12:17 AM   #979
diyAudio Member

Hi guys great builds and thank all of you for your info,I connected my sig gen a dynascan 310 to the input of a DEQ2496 to SX3040 to DCX2496 to the 500 watt amp to the sub and turned it on ,was on very low volume [swept from 30hz to 160hz],playing with the knobs,My daughter comes in my garage and says could you turn that down please the dishes and my window in my bedroom is vibrating,
The grill,Idea maybe make some shutters for the opening,the type with wood that slants down,it would keep hands and anything wet out,????
Ns
Old 19th September 2012, 12:45 AM   #980
diyAudio Member

Here's what I did for a handle ,was just quick fix,Holes cut in the box would be more compact.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 101_1726.JPG (423.2 KB, 378 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!