TH-18 Flat to 35hz! (Xoc1's design)

spot on! bracing is a pain if you try and do it after assembling most of the box, as i found out!

by the way, just 2 wheels near the bottom simply aren't enough so I'm putting 4 more on the back panel which will make moving this thing much easier! I'll post a pic once I've done that.

Anyway, my box is now completed. First test will be next Saturday, can't wait!!
Here's a couple more pics.

Attachments

• IMG_4754.jpg
    IMG_4754.jpg
    431.7 KB · Views: 840
  • IMG_4758.jpg
    IMG_4758.jpg
    340.5 KB · Views: 804
  • IMG_4760.jpg
    IMG_4760.jpg
    418.5 KB · Views: 783
  • IMG_4774.jpg
    IMG_4774.jpg
    478.5 KB · Views: 805
What are the toughts about these drivers for a TH18?

Oberton 18XB1500
The 18XB1500 ferrite bass loudspeaker is specially designed for horn application to deliver very high impact bass response, with exceptional high power capacity. It incorporates an 4.5" sandwich voice coil, two double silicone spider assembly, paper cone with carbon fibers and die cast vented aluminium frame. Powerful, vented magnetic structure with double demodulating rings reduced power compression. The result is high efficient transducer for bass horn applications, with the ability to handle high excursion with low distortion and reduced thermal power compression.

Oberton 18XB800
he 18XB800 bass loudspeaker is specially designed to deliver high impact bass response, with exceptional high power capacity. It incorporates an 30 mm long, 4`` sandwich voice coil, kevlar paper cone, a powerful, vented 220 mm magnetic structure with higher energy than 18XB700,die cast vented aluminium frame which reduced power compression, and double silicone spider assembly. This results in an incredible high efficient transducer for subwoofer applications, with the ability to handle high excursion with low distortion and reduced thermal power compression.

I liked the SW115. It seemed to have a slight edge on extension. BUT I think any of the top tier woofers would be good. 9601, SW115, or RCF LX451 or other.

For me the best value is the 18LW2500 but only comes in 8ohm. It is only about 20 dollars more than the 2400 for me. The next best value is the SW115.

Both the 18" TBW and TBX would be lower on the list than the LW2500 let alone the SW115.

The 15TBX100-4 and 18SW115-4 are very similar in power (force vs cone area), the LW2500 is a new addition to the list of 18" of comparable power.

How much power/what amp do you have to power these cabinets?

Last edited:
After a year of harassing my friend the cabinet maker my first two TH18's are now getting painted! I thought I would share some pictures of the build progress and then comment on how they sound when they are finished!

I should be finished painting them today, may get all the fittings on and then testing can start tomorrow. The throat is going to be painted orange like the Puregroove Danley's.

Also yes both the construction and wood are not ideal, unfortunately due to some deals gone wrong this is how things have ended up, the next two will be done differently. I have also put top hats in the center triangle section that isn't part of the horn for future 12" topbox's. At the moment they will be used with a pair of srx725.

Using the 18-SW115 8ohm driver and a FP14000

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
The wood is not very consistent, many ply or weatherproof. I would have opted for marine ply at the least but it was too late. The top hat is quite deep and can be as deep as you like because that section is not used for the sound path at all as is as deep as the box width. See the center triangle area in pic 1, this is used of course with the subs on their flat side. Also the hole can be seen below on the right side, the metal hat is not fitted in yet.