TH-18 Flat to 35hz! (Xoc1's design)

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi,
I have used an 15HP1030 8 ohm driver in the TH-18, it's great for use with amps like EP2500.

The ratio of motor force (BL²/Re) to cone area of the recommended B&C 18" driver is similar to the 15" Faital.

Good to know. Are you saying that the 15in is sufficient and no need to go to 18in? How high in free can one take the TH-18, given some modest EQ, can it be used up to 150Hz?

Good to know. Are you saying that the 15in is sufficient and no need to go to 18in? How high in free can one take the TH-18, given some modest EQ, can it be used up to 150Hz?

If the 1000w limit gets loud enough then absolutely I would recommend the Faital HP1030 15".

TH are pretty much a two octave device, the first real group delay is peak ~110 Hz. I have listened with the low pass as high as 120Hz and I usually settle on 90Hz, sometimes 80Hz it depends on the program material and how much headroom you have.

I personally think the 15" 1030 is nicer than the 18 inch, because of that sd/bl factor.

The 15 hp 1030 was stunning in my oth40c (flat to 40hz compact th)

However, it seems to show signs of sus pension noise around 17-20mm p2p excursion (shy of staTed xmax, by my eyes)

Last edited:
I wonder if B&C might have in edge in that regard. At least with that model. My low power B&C 18PS76's were surprisingly very low noise at similar excursion levels in free air tests. Was it just noticeable in free air or in the oth40c as well?

I think Art's testing of the 18SW115 proved they were quiet but I don't remember for sure.

Last edited:

However, it seems to show signs of sus pension noise around 17-20mm p2p excursion (shy of staTed xmax, by my eyes)

I noticed much the same thing with the 2 Faital drivers I have had chance to mess with. One was the 18hp1060. It did not seem to have much excursion headroom in the suspension. The surround in particular does not seem to allow much stroke before tightening severely. Xmax with the Faitals seems to be a bit limited compared to competing drivers.

I noticed much the same thing with the 2 Faital drivers I have had chance to mess with. One was the 18hp1060. It did not seem to have much excursion headroom in the suspension. The surround in particular does not seem to allow much stroke before tightening severely. Xmax with the Faitals seems to be a bit limited compared to competing drivers.

Thanks for chiming in josh.

To be fair, the suspension noise is un noticable with tops turned on (or from more than 5 ft away), @and seemed to dissapste significantly (not completely) with further use/break in. It honestly seems like the surrounds are overy doped

I broke in my 18 1030 much more dilligently, and it seemed to stay quiet much closer to xmax, although it was used in a vented alignmwnt, and thus the differing excursion profiles might *mask* the issue

Last edited:
So who's built these cabs? whats the verdict? what is the final plan and what driver is best?

Hi All, Curious about this myself - is there anyone on the thread in the southeastern or central PA or DE/MD area of the U.S. who has built one/some of these and playing out on a regular basis? I really want to hear this used 'in anger' before undertaking the project myself......

well I'm taking the plunge...I've got the wood cut and also the CNC guys cut grooves on both side parts which made things a million times easier to put this together. once it's together it'll be sanded and ready to for spray shop! looking forward to trying the beast.

Attachments

• IMG_4747.jpg
    IMG_4747.jpg
    334.3 KB · Views: 598
  • IMG_4748.jpg
    IMG_4748.jpg
    429.6 KB · Views: 582
  • IMG_4750.jpg
    IMG_4750.jpg
    498.9 KB · Views: 586
  • IMG_4751.jpg
    IMG_4751.jpg
    444.4 KB · Views: 575
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
well I'm taking the plunge...I've got the wood cut and also the CNC guys cut grooves on both side parts which made things a million times easier to put this together. once it's together it'll be sanded and ready to for spray shop! looking forward to trying the beast.

CNC grooves is a nice implementation. Very clean! Thanks for sharing.