Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th June 2012, 01:59 AM   #621
NEO Dan is offline NEO Dan  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpowell View Post
Hmmm...I have a pair of TH115's. I have heard that the TH115 cannot be adapted or converted to a TH118, but if the issue is a simple driver overhang that can be corrected with an extension plate of some kind...can it be done?
I wouldn't attempt it, IMO you are far ahead to sell them and upgrade or DIY your own from scratch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TundraLTD View Post
Am I the only one that is disappointed that his (Mr Danley's) designs are somewhat in the open now?
NO - Just the mention that they were similar definitely put a damper on this thread.
Old 16th June 2012, 02:19 AM   #622
jbell is offline jbell  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TundraLTD View Post
Am I the only one that is disappointed that his (Mr Danley's) designs are somewhat in the open now?
I am...

I am very proud of the engineering work done by members of this site. I am proud of the desire to know, and the desire to be better. I am the last person who ever wanted to see the internals of Tom's designs...

The SS15, and variations of it that I have done are by far some of the best sounding cabinets I've put together. Many different "wrongs" that I have encountered in the past are "righted" in those designs.

To find out that it is the mirror image of another persons work... is well... sad...
I would like to think that I did something new....
But as the saying in audio goes... There really isn't anything new, except marketing....
Old 16th June 2012, 02:35 AM   #623
diyAudio Member

Yeah man as we've seen by all the patent images that pop up, all this stuff has been done before, many many years ago. They just didn't have the technology to spread the knowledge and help each other through quick communication like we do now with DIY audio, CAD programs, Hornresp/akbak etc
Old 16th June 2012, 03:02 AM   #624
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEO Dan View Post
NO - Just the mention that they were similar definitely put a damper on this thread.

Just to clarify that was a no - as in you are not the only one, and yes I am disappointed.
Old 16th June 2012, 07:07 AM   #625
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEO Dan View Post

Just to clarify that was a no - as in you are not the only one, and yes I am disappointed.
Xoc1's TH-18 exactly copied the external dimensions of the DSL TH-118, and was quite close to the internal fold pattern (other than one detail) which follows when one attempts to duplicate an existing design.

I don't understand why you would be disappointed finding out that the copy was also quite close internally.
Old 16th June 2012, 07:16 AM   #626
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbell View Post
I am the last person who ever wanted to see the internals of Tom's designs...

To find out that it is the mirror image of another persons work... is well... sad...
I would like to think that I did something new....
But as the saying in audio goes... There really isn't anything new, except marketing....
Like Tom Danley, I have always enjoyed opening up stuff and seeing "what makes it tick".
I have made dozens of "new designs", all based on modifications of old designs resulting in an incremental improvement.

Nothing wrong with finding out that you can follow the bread crumbs left by other designers, don't be sad, "be happy, don't worry".
Old 16th June 2012, 09:56 AM   #627
djk is offline djk
diyAudio Member

I reverse engineer stuff all the time.

When I clone something I always find something to improve, it's never the same as the original.

If we see farther it's because we all stand on the shoulders of the giants that came before us.
Old 16th June 2012, 12:02 PM   #628
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I reverse engineer stuff all the time.

When I clone something I always find something to improve, it's never the same as the original.

If we see farther it's because we all stand on the shoulders of the giants that came before us.
We all stand on the shoulders of Giants.

Same is true for Mr. Danley. He took a forgotten method of enclosure design and made it his own by means of intelligence and determination and well thought out marketing. Nothing wrong with that.

What is in this thread and a few others is an open dissemination of the same type. You guys run with what you have put together and be proud of what you have accomplished.

And don't stop and sit back thinking you have created the perfect enclosure. Tweak it! Fix it, make it better. That is the real difference you can effect as a DIY designer
Old 16th June 2012, 01:52 PM   #629
diyAudio Member

Is my memory serving me correctly...has the f3 of the Danley TH-118 changed? It's f3 is now listed as 40HZ...typo perhaps? I could have sworn the f3 was originally in the high 30's...?
Old 16th June 2012, 01:59 PM   #630
diyAudio Member

Maybe Tom decided to go with the TH18...

The pdf spec was -4dB @ 35Hz/ -10dB @ 28Hz.
The old website had it at 40-250Hz

Last edited by NEO Dan; 16th June 2012 at 02:11 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!