TH-18 Flat to 35hz! (Xoc1's design)

Nice looking speakers! I like the stop sign look to them.

Good day!
I contacted witlh manufacturer A&D Professional Loudspeaker and buy this speakers.
~950$ price of 4pcs + shipping to russia ~350$, total = ~1300$
may be, for this price is possible buy italian speakers with similar parameters, but this manufacturer and speakers did interested for me.

Good day!
I contacted witlh manufacturer A&D Professional Loudspeaker and buy this speakers.
~950$ price of 4pcs + shipping to russia ~350$, total = ~1300$
may be, for this price is possible buy italian speakers with similar parameters, but this manufacturer and speakers did interested for me.

A&D is one of the best Chinese brands, not a clones. Xmas is a bit limited by today standards, but on other side there are Carbon cones, Neo, relatively powerful motors and they sound good too. Italian brands with similar T/S will cost at list 30% more, not even mention Carbon cones. In Germany those woofers have very high reputation.

A&D is one of the best Chinese brands, not a clones. Xmas is a bit limited by today standards, but on other side there are Carbon cones, Neo, relatively powerful motors and they sound good too. Italian brands with similar T/S will cost at list 30% more, not even mention Carbon cones. In Germany those woofers have very high reputation.

I agree with you. By the by, their xmax declared with bl loss 18%, but b&c, eighten sound and other brands declare xmax with formula hvc - hmg/3, that similar ~30% bl loss. Maybe, of course, i not correct.
And more, you randomly is no know, what the professional audio brands use A&D speakers? I tryed find, but without result.

I agree with you. By the by, their xmax declared with bl loss 18%, but b&c, eighten sound and other brands declare xmax with formula hvc - hmg/3, that similar ~30% bl loss. Maybe, of course, i not correct.
And more, you randomly is no know, what the professional audio brands use A&D speakers? I tryed find, but without result.

You'll be surprised))). Some of their drivers were used by Void Audio. I know what I gonna get now from DIYers members, but I now for sure that 12" were used in some Void's couple years ago. I think that Dima TDA knows more, cose he literally dismantle every speaker he got his hands on - and it's a hundreds! I also know from my own experience that previous model of 18" with huge magnet (forgot exact model) outperformed JBL 2242. It was cleaner and provided more kick than JBL.
P.S. I know it's outdated driver, but still legendary.
Sorry for OT

Last edited:
"High Reputation in Germay" - well - there is one online Shop in Germany importing theses speakers and some models were used in some Projects in the german DYI communitys a few years ago.

The link to HTH Audio is given above. Talk to Mr. Herget if he can help you. A&D has no german distribution, HTH Traumboxen simply is a dealer having some models in stock.

J
Can anyone tell me if the polarity needs reversing on the driver as the from the the driver is firing into the cab.
The primary output of the tapped horn is from the internal horn path, so the driver polarity would normally be a "+" signal causing movement of the cone towards the horn throat, away from the exposed magnet structure.

To time align the TH with the top cabinet usually requires the top cabinet to be delayed by the approximate time of flight of the TH path length. If the top cabinets are bass reflex (AKA "phase inversion") tuned near the crossover frequency, it may be possible a polarity inversion (on either cabinet) may result in a fairly flat frequency/phase response.

Great threat, and for quite a few years now! More love to tapped horns ;)

Myself using a pair of MicroWrecker's (by "lilmike") fitted with the good ol' tapped horn work horse driver (certainly in the DSL TH-115), the B&C 15TBX100. It doesn't have enough mechanical clearance to be run at full power with the ~22Hz tune of the MW's, but should be good to about 600 watts. Via a Xilica XP-3060 I low-pass them at 80Hz 36dB/octave L/R, and have applied a high-pass at 20Hz 18dB/oct. B/W as well.

The TH-18 of @Xoc1 looks to be a great design as well. Where're we at here in the evolution of this TH - has anything significant happened past the MkII version?

Last edited:
Semi-Inductance :)

Hornresp has been updated to allow sims to include the impact of the driver's semi-inductance parameters. This can substantially change the sim'd output of the design. The attached shows the difference between the old model (grey) and the new one with semi-inductance enabled (red) for the TH18 loaded with the B&C 18TBW100 driver.

Attachments

• 2019-08-11 (6).png
    2019-08-11 (6).png
    28.3 KB · Views: 1,045
Semi-Inductance :)

Hornresp has been updated to allow sims to include the impact of the driver's semi-inductance parameters. This can substantially change the sim'd output of the design. The attached shows the difference between the old model (grey) and the new one with semi-inductance enabled (red) for the TH18 loaded with the B&C 18TBW100 driver.

Thanks, so I take it the design itself is unchanged including cone correction?

For all intends and purposes, is the latest (MkII?) iteration of Xoc1's TH-18 a very close match with DSL TH-118, certainly with the B&C 18SW115?

As far as I have followed this thread, the cone correction is only "mentioned" sometimes, not included in any "official" drawings...

The Danley TH118 is very similar on the outside and works with the same principal of a folded Tapped Horn, but is different to the XOC TH 118 on the inside. When XOC started to design this, there was no intention to copy Danleys design, it just happens to look very similar (from the outside) at first glance.

Hi Folks!

I'm following this thread for quite a while now and always wanted to build a TH18, but before i start i got some Questions that you guys might be able to answer.

I own 4 Turbosound TXD 520 Speakers that i got for cheap but i do not have any bass cabinet at the moment (i attached the file with the specs).

1. Is the TH18 a reasonable addition to my TXD 520s?
2. Does it make sence to build "only" one TH18?
3. Will a AMP with ~1400W RMS power be enough to drive the 18SW115?

My goal is to have a decent Setup for some outdoor music sessions (electronic) with my friends. I'm not going to use it for professional purposes.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Turbosound - txd520.pdf
    760.3 KB · Views: 259
Hi Folks!

1. Is the TH18 a reasonable addition to my TXD 520s?
Yes, why not!

2. Does it make sence to build "only" one TH18?
Tapped horn works even in singles, but you get much more fun with two or more! Especially in outdoor environments. Go and build two! One TH18 and two TXD520/side. Tho sometimes its best to put subwoofers in the middle (side by side on the ground) for better dispersion.

3. Will a AMP with ~1400W RMS power be enough to drive the 18SW115?
Yes, mostly. Im running two 18" hog scoops 1400Wrms/cab and it does very well. But some head room is always good thing to have. Do not use cheap smps/class d amps for bass, they are only medicore or worse. Heavy weight class ab/h amps does typically better job.
Once we tested inuke 12000 and it was a joke compared to 2 x 1500Wrms Class H iron amp.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,,

Last edited: