TH-18 Flat to 35hz! (Xoc1's design)

Hey Pabesco,
I'm not sure that Josh ever published a set of plans for those ported test boxes.

How much power are you going to have for these drivers, how many drivers are you going to have, and do you have to move them without help?

Sometimes it turns out to be more cost-effective to have more boxes with smaller less expensive drivers.

Regards,
Dan

good evening to all. iv been trying to find the plans to build one of the suggestions by Dan and Crescendo
DIY B&C 21SW152-4 25Hz Ported
i cannot find it anywhere. i find pictures of it but no plans. does anyone have the link to the plans?
thank you

hi dan.
ill keep looking for the plans, if there are pictures then there have to be plans.
i have two of these drivers to go along with my system because i wanted to get a better low end in some cases.
i already have 12 other boxes with 18s in them and say if for instance i wanted to just take two of the 18s and the two 21s to a function, i want to be able to get good low end.
at this time i have a behringer 6000 that i will try with these two 21s. reading the specs on the behringer it seems to be enough to drive the 21s one on each channel seeing that they are 4 ohm drivers. am i right in assuming this or should i use another amp?

hi unclejam,
you might get better feedback from others, but i used the 18sound 2400s in the TH and i didnt like the results. one of the drivers got damage to the cone and the output was not what i wanted from the get go. others might have a different opinion but as for me who has already tried them, i will not recomend to anyone to use them in this cab

Hi Stewin.

it sounds pretty good. these DIRECTOR tops from GAE ( German Audio Engineering) were installed in the early 2000 in almost every club in Berlin and the north of Germany. also used for R'nR and small touring. they call it "twin-coax" pointsource . now it is old fashon because its very heavy (90kg) and splmax (>138dB) is not as high as today possible. BUT it sounds very well. maybe we try to change the HF drivers from B&C to BMS to get less distortion and the 12" RCF to new Faital neodymium drivers for less weight. its like a big playground:). the double18s are not necessary, but i think the are good for Rock'n Roll stuff....

hi unclejam,
you might get better feedback from others, but i used the 18sound 2400s in the TH and i didnt like the results. one of the drivers got damage to the cone and the output was not what i wanted from the get go. others might have a different opinion but as for me who has already tried them, i will not recomend to anyone to use them in this cab

Was the TH built to the 2400's specs or another woofer's specs?

good evening to all. iv been trying to find the plans to build one of the suggestions by Dan and Crescendo
DIY B&C 21SW152-4 25Hz Ported
i cannot find it anywhere. i find pictures of it but no plans. does anyone have the link to the plans?
thank you

I believe we talked through email a bit. I don't have prints for that cabinet. I haven't looked at it in a long time. However at the end of the day it is just a vented cab with a slightly unusual port configuration but that is about it. It would not be hard to roll your own vented cab for those drivers.

I do have plans for the Othorn or the Skhorn cabs, both of which work with those drivers and offer more output than the simple vented cabinet.

A bit off topic.. I have 2 Monacor SP 46 A/500 BS 18" and I would like to build a TH with fs around 20-30Hz. Are there any existing plans out there for a TH that I could use? This will be my first TH build. The subs will be a part of outdoor PA so minimising design flaws is a must. Any clues?

the xmax of those speakers is really low. so i would recomend to find some other drivers with at least 14mm xmax to get in to the 20/30hz range. Even for PA use in a TH it is not feasible. maybe you can use them for midbass cabinets.

This is what you get in a TH18 with the monacor sp46 a/500.
You have reached xmax of 6mm at 120w.

this is the sim:
monacor-th18.JPG

I also tried this driver in the Tham18. Still a no go.

Last edited:
Thanks USRFobiwan. These drivers are not my first choice, but it`s what I got on hand. I was under the impression that TH does`t need xmax as extreme as BR. I simulated the response in Subwoofer 18 and it looks better. I guess drivers like small enclosures better. #Bertlsound: It`s the way these subs will be used. IMO Horns couple to the air better then BR in an open setting.

Hi Auredes,

Monacor drivers have a conservative Xmax derived from: (Hvc - Hg)/2. With the 'Italian' formula; (Hvc - Hg)/2 + 1/4 Hg, the SP-46A/500BS has an Xmax of 8mm. Nonetheless, the motor is too weak for TH use, IMO, with a Rme of 50.9 N*s/m. Rme is Electromagnetic damping; (BL*BL)/Re

Regards, Djim

Finally making sawdust

I have been pondering building this sub for a while and was reminded by another DJ friend of mine 3 weeks ago that we had an annual gig coming up that we do at a VFW here in St. Pete, FL during the pride parade. I made the decision that I wanted to go ahead and build these and have them done for the gig that is coming up this Saturday.

I went to purchase the wood (10 sheets of 5x5 balitic birch) on Fri 6/9 from a local wholesaler but they were out and had to order it. Damn, I only had 2 weeks to build 4 cabs and now I have less than that. It was supposed to be in Wed, then Thurs and finally it came in late Friday and I picked it up on my way home from Infocomm in Orlando where I briefly met Tom Danley and enjoyed their 1 hour product demo including the real TH118 ;).

Friday evening I got started. Luckily a friend of mine has a large shop that he uses somewhat for work but mostly for his toys and I usually kicking $150 and month and get a key and use of all the tools, 3 car lifts, etc. The day I ordered the wood I built a support table around his old Craftsman table saw and figured it would help when running large sheets through and it did.

I have been working on these cabinets almost anytime I am not at work. Late Friday, all day sat and most of Sunday, Mon and Tues evenings and realized I was not going to get done in time so I took Wed off and worked from 8am to about 11pm and finally got 2 complete except for the painting and cosmetics but they are ready to load and play bass.

10 sheets ready to go.

20170616_202254_zpssj16v14r.jpg

Tablesaw table.

20170616_231644_zpswoioceje.jpg

Traceable pattern.

20170617_094653_zpsecrvrcbn.jpg

2 tables for assembly

20170617_120423_zpsqg22j1u6.jpg

Cabs dry fit of most panels. Then took them apart and reassembled with glue

20170618_140634_zps6nujzbfy.jpg

Added cone correction in a way that I can take it out and modify it if needed.

20170621_171132_zpsabnozsoq.jpg

Test fitting the bottom brace with an old JBL for size

20170621_180357_zpsmmzmgmkb.jpg

The rest of the bracing is ugly but should work.

20170621_211717_zps33ms087c.jpg

2 cabs ready to go.

20170621_221124_zpsmt3oi4fy.jpg