Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th April 2013, 08:55 AM   #1271
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEO Dan View Post
Nice work Justin,
How was the "show"? Cops???
The show was successful. The headliner was nice to hear (Cloud D) as his style was deeper, more spaced out (opposed to the noisy mid-rangey stuff) dubstep/purple/un-categorizable selections.

We were in the basement - so, it was pretty contained (upstairs rattled quite a lot though). Cops don't typically show up anywhere around here unless there's violence.....or a random drunk homeless person passed out, unresponsive, in plain sight in the parking lot, laying against the building.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m R g S r View Post
Crescendo,

Are those grills the Dayton flat metal grills from PE? Any rattling / flexing issues with them without a "bow" in the grill shape?

Also, what does the entire system look like with those 4 TH-18's?
Yeah, Dayton square hole.
  • The 1st temporary mounting method was on the face of the enclosure. Screws about every 6-8 squares. A bit of rattling when rolling the cabs and virtually no rattling during the show, IIRC. I think the grill made just a tad bit of noise during a certain frequency (~70Hz? - wild guess)
  • The next method, I PL'd 1" strips of my 3/4" baltic to the inside of the mouths and mounted the grills there. To my surprise, I was greeted with more rattle - both while rolling cabs around and during bass notes at more frequencies.
  • It wasn't until I placed acoustically transparent foam behind the grills. That's when all ratlles disappeared. I still need to find the proper way to do this. At the time, I sprayed fabric "glue" to the back of the grill and layed it onto the foam. I thought about laying a piece of ply on top until the glue set, but perhaps there's a stretching method that works miles better. I'll have to look it up. The foam kinda waves at you in one of the cabs.
Old 17th April 2013, 03:17 AM   #1272
diyAudio Member

no smoking, were you able to take measurements of your newly optimized th18? The info would be greatly appreciated. thanks
Old 17th April 2013, 11:59 AM   #1273
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Also, what does the entire system look like with those 4 TH-18's?
Oops, missed this part. Visually or just component-wise?
Old 18th April 2013, 03:23 PM   #1274
diyAudio Member

Both. Just curious what setup you're running with 4 of these to keep up both midbass and midrange / highs
Old 22nd April 2013, 06:10 PM   #1275
wg_ski is offline wg_ski  United States
diyAudio Member

Started a new build this weekend, needed by the 10th of next month. Four TH18s to replace my 'indoor' subs. Power is a CA18 or RMX5050 in 2-channel mode, drivers 18TBW100. The TBW's were actually chosen for a future outdoor rig, which will be in development a while and optimized around those. In the meantime, I need to replace my smaller front loaders which have Kappa P15LF2's in them and they really get pissed and object to that much power. Question is - with the TBW's in the TH18, do I want cone correction or no? I'm getting to the part of the build where I'll need these pieces cut out.
Old 22nd April 2013, 09:50 PM   #1276
Xoc1 is offline Xoc1  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Here is a cone correction curve I did for the B&C 18sw115 for the TH18 baffle width.
Moving down the panels above to suit should help the LF response.
Regards Xoc1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 18 cone correction.jpg (27.1 KB, 455 views)
Old 23rd April 2013, 06:00 AM   #1277
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Both. Just curious what setup you're running with 4 of these to keep up both midbass and midrange / highs
We use a pair of Peavey SP 4G dual 15" towers for tops. They seem to get a little dirty when pushed pretty hard with our XTI2000 (before the limit light illuminates). I'm working on a pair of HS12's right now. Looking forward to a 3-way synergy build sometime after I get some more knowledge under my belt.
Old 23rd April 2013, 08:36 AM   #1278
djk is offline djk
diyAudio Member

"They seem to get a little dirty when pushed pretty hard"

A 1" compression driver will become quite dirty trying to keep up with a pair of 15s.

A medium (3" diaphragm) or large format driver (4" diaphragm) will sound a lot more open and less stressed.
Old 23rd April 2013, 02:46 PM   #1279
diyAudio Member

3 way synergy crossover network seems like it will be very complicated. Hope it works out!
Old 24th April 2013, 12:40 AM   #1280
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djk View Post
"They seem to get a little dirty when pushed pretty hard"

A 1" compression driver will become quite dirty trying to keep up with a pair of 15s.

A medium (3" diaphragm) or large format driver (4" diaphragm) will sound a lot more open and less stressed.
Makes sense. Thanks for that. What design/method would you suggest for stacking to allow the drivers to all integrate well?

Quote:
3 way synergy crossover network seems like it will be very complicated. Hope it works out!
It's sort of seeming that way. I'm after high fidelity PA and open to suggestions.

Hide this!Advertise here!