TH-18 Flat to 35hz! (Xoc1's design)

IMG-20160320-WA0003.jpg

Hi
I will keep you up to date.
First day in the workshop is gone just making all the cuts fooor two th18, only the braces are left to be cut. A lot of angled cuts, our carpenter friend experience and tools were unvaluable.

Next step... assembling!
I read some suggestion to start from the inside. Should i insert the braces as i build the internals or finish the whole cab and insert bracing later?

Any other suggestion for This stage? Should i first glue everything and screw it at the end or screw every piece as i mount it?
Our first build, lots of options!

Thanks for the help so far!

View attachment 539052

Next step... assembling!
I read some suggestion to start from the inside. Should i insert the braces as i build the internals or finish the whole cab and insert bracing later?

Any other suggestion for This stage? Should i first glue everything and screw it at the end or screw every piece as i mount it?
Our first build, lots of options!

Thanks for the help so far!

First of all use expanding PU glue type. Use screws to hold the pieces in place so the glue can do his work. If you have a air tacker gun use that.

With all my builds I do the bracing when the part is added, its easier to build and the glue will not slide off the piece if you put the braces in after. But make sure you test fit the peaces and mark where the brace should go.

I have just finished reading the post, I had stopped years ago around page 120. Glad to see everyones hard work is paying off and the many builds with good results. I have been kicking around replacing my mismatched 18" reflex's for a while and finally getting close to actually doing something about it.

First, can someone point me to a link with the correct Hornresp input data. I have been modeling it with data that I got "somewhere" but noticed it was a little different from data others had posted. I just want to make sure I am simming with the correct data.

Second, is this cabinet capable of reproducing the 31hz low note in Diplo's Revolution? It can be some DB down but I don't want it to sound like it can't do it. The note I am referring too is at 1:26 in the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nv76KvFV748

Third, I am able to get Faital drivers fairly cheap, I have been considering the 18HP1060 which looks pretty good or the new 18XL1800. I will probably never have the power to get the maximum out of the 18XL1800 (15 amp circuits) but with having that much xmax I should be able to safely HP at 25 and not have to worry about over excursion and hopefully keep some of the subharmonics. Plus, if enough power becomes available I can alsway raise the HP and beat the $#!t out of it. LOL

Fourth, Those that have built the modified throat/longer horn path versions, did you actually gain any extension compared to the MK1 plans.

Thanks

Last edited:
Building 12 FLH's instead of TH's makes no sense to me, if you want to build 12, just build them and use in different arrangements. Like 2 stacks of 6, end fires, in front of stage in a line, everything is possible with 12.

Maybe it was suggested in a different context. Maybe the FLH was a 'far throw' design and was suggested to use the FLH to shoot further into the field. Who knows...

If you're always going to use 12 cabinets, FLHs make a lot of sense - they need multiple cabinets (and/or boundry loading) to get a usefully flat response at the bottom end.

THs will give the same frequency response with one cabinet or 12. 12 cabs will just go a lot louder.
For an event hire company, THs make a lot of sense - one for a birthday party, 12 for a rave, 4 for a pub/club event. If you're going on tour and will always use all of the equipment, FLHs are probably the way to go.

Chris

One huge advantage THs have is they provide a nearly best case scenario for motor ventilation: open, moving air. The closed chambers of FLHs are almost a worse case. If you make a habit of bringing just barely enough rig for the gig, or if you play a lot of low crest factor music like bassy EDM or dubstep, the increased thermal performance could be a huge bonus if you're near the limits of the system's ability.

One of the most ubiquitous FLH subs, the labhorn, is a bit infamous for having overheating problems and suffering from power compression if driven hard.

I have been hesitent to build horn mid tops because or the small chamber with no cooling.

Anyone that has built this th18 know if it will play the low 31hz not from Diplos Revolution?
I have built it and I don't know that song but the song Kaiju-Hunter will be played but without authority. I bet the Othorn will impress me more. JBL VTX g28 sounds more powerfull and clear on this song.

I have been hesitent to build horn mid tops because or the small chamber with no cooling.

Anyone that has built this th18 know if it will play the low 31hz not from Diplos Revolution?

hi
i'm building a couple. looking at measurements by fenis (page 197), Crescendo and at various simulations, i gather 31hz should be between -5/6db from the average output, if you go with b&c 18sw115 or 18sound 9601 with some cone correction, and -8/9db if you use a less powerful driver.
maybe you could gain some low end back with a bit of EQ but only at lower power levels, or you risk your driver...
This project is designed to give a lot of efficiency but over 35hz (seems to hit -3 at 36hz in fenis measurements), so since you are building a system to play with authority at 30hz maybe you should consider other options that may attain more to your goals.
this th18 is playing your 31 hz note at almost half the volume than a 40 hz note...
If you are building more than 2 speakers you may want to investigate how multiple real horns lower the knee of the response, going lower in numbers.
tapped horns don't work in the same way, the knee remains similar, but there's still a lot to gain in numbers :D

with that being said, once i'm over with this construction (2xth18, 2xcubo kick, 2xmt121), i'm eager to experiment with some horn extensions for my th18s to go lower and louder.
things that got me into this idea are Art Welter +3db barn doors, djm extension suggestions for ss15, funktion one infrahorn, and somebody i can't remember the name who built and measured a combined extension for 2 15'' tapped horns.
in my poor understanding it should be a mix of extended horn and extended boundaries effects combined that increases spl and lowers the response.
I barely understand what a wavelength is so lots to read, but should be a nice
experiment for the sessions where those low hz would be nice to have.

By the way bracing done! It took a lot of time but they look sweet.
I think we are going to add an horizontal stick like fenis at Page 197. Those look clean! And grill on the front.

On the hidden inside are we ok with just some protective painting against moisture or do you suggest something specific??

Attachments

• IMG-20160402-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20160402-WA0004.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 659
  • IMG-20160404-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20160404-WA0000.jpg
    384 KB · Views: 607
By the way bracing done! It took a lot of time but they look sweet.
I think we are going to add an horizontal stick like fenis at Page 197. Those look clean! And grill on the front.

On the hidden inside are we ok with just some protective painting against moisture or do you suggest something specific??

Those braces look sweet, i assune the rest will turn out as good.

I plan on using the system in multiple sizes so performance as one cab is important. The hunter song has a bassline between 30and 40hz.

I would love the performance of the Othorn but need something smaller and light enough that 2 fat old lazy guys can carry it up stairs.

HELLO ALL
can anyone point me to the page that has the cutsheet that shows the updated braces with the cutouts please. i built a few of these a few years ago without those braces and they still sounded pretty damn good,
i was also not using the right driver, i used the 18lw2400. i think the speaker was workimg too hard and possible working against itself due to the high excursion point of this driver.
if im incorrect about this please advise, im grateful for any knowledge passed on
thank yo all