TH-18 Flat to 35hz! (Xoc1's design) - Page 102 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd September 2012, 02:38 AM   #1011
diyAudio Member

Does Hornresp show a more exaggerated dip? Just asking since HR exaggerates peaks & dips and I didn't know if akabak did the same.
(I've been crossing over at ~88Hz - so, no issue for me)

The driver I'm using (18SW100) results in a higher f3, unfortunately. Not sure if a few inches here or there would get a little bit of that extension back without sacrificing output.

Will we have any issues (phasing, cancellations, etc) running a group of cabs that have different cone volume correction methods installed?
Old 22nd September 2012, 03:13 AM   #1012
Djim is offline Djim  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoc1 View Post
I'm a bit concerned about the 110Hz dip to 96db
Hi Martin,

Try to trade the energy of the 82Hz bumb for the 110Hz dip by using their quarter wavelength to determine their position within the horn. My rough guess is that the vertical board (that is connected with the top-panel) needs to be tilted over (clockwise) and make it parallel to the board on its left.
Old 22nd September 2012, 05:58 AM   #1013
diyAudio Member

Lol, that was a huge calculation mistake so forget my earlier panel suggestion... (some progs need dots where we use comma's in Holland)

Anyway, did a Hornresp model based on a total volume 375,88 Litres of your Sketch. So S4 has become smaller to compensate for the correct total volume. Their seems to be a big difference between Akabak and HornResp in the outcome at the First System Resonance.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 22nd September 2012, 08:21 AM   #1014
diyAudio Member

Small update, corrected the system volume to 362,3 because of the two corners and driver plus changed the expansion to expo.

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by Djim; 22nd September 2012 at 08:24 AM.
Old 22nd September 2012, 01:51 PM   #1015
Xoc1 is offline Xoc1  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi All
Hornresp is so useful but there are always compromises that need to be made for the sim model.
Attached is one of my alternative HR sims
Volume of the unfolded horn layout is 345.7 litres not allowing for the bracing.
Volume of sim is 336 so not unrealistic - I do feel uneasy about sims that exaggerate the internal volume of a speaker cab.
Where it gets complicated is having to run 2 sims to try to understand what is happening with the various sections of the horn.
Regards
Martin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TH18MK1-HR.jpg (153.3 KB, 548 views)
Old 22nd September 2012, 05:36 PM   #1016
tb46 is offline tb46  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Martin,

Another great piece of work, Posts 1010/1015

I noticed that the S1 duct height dimension 147.4mm x 535 mm internal width result in 788.59 cm^2, the Hornresp Input says 933.04 cm^2 (in the Hornresp simulation this doesn't much matter, but only one should be correct).

I think you are on the right path with using AkAbak for this one, Hornresp just doesn't seem to get us there. I tried a short L23 together with an arbitrarily choosen S4 (to get to your layout volume of 345.7 L). Looks very much like what Djim came up with?

Regards,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg modified_Input.jpg (35.4 KB, 519 views)
File Type: jpg modified_SPL.jpg (30.3 KB, 499 views)

Last edited by tb46; 22nd September 2012 at 05:39 PM.
Old 23rd September 2012, 01:28 AM   #1017
NEO Dan is offline NEO Dan  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm really curious as to where fudging S2 via an inflated cone correction became a good idea? The 18SW115 is really not going to make it to 60mm p-p without dammage, in fact it is hard to drive to 40mm p-p, and that's with HUGE amounts of power.
Old 23rd September 2012, 02:15 AM   #1018
diyAudio Member

Howdie,
Made the lower ring change to my box and ran some tests, I see nice smooth plots from you guys ,mine are not anyone care to interpet,
Thanks,
NS
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spl and phase lower rings in.jpg (104.3 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg rta swept to 200 rings in.jpg (76.7 KB, 78 views)
Old 23rd September 2012, 02:19 AM   #1019
djk is offline djk
diyAudio Member

Dynamic off-set is what mechanically damages woofers.

The Crown MA5000vz has a double-integrator (U104A, B) to try and help off-set with issues.

Some program material causes problems Power Amplifier Clipping, clipping an amplifier can cause real problems (the ESP note also discusses non-clipped program material issues).

5.2.4 Loudspeaker Offset Integration
Loudspeaker Offset Integration (LOI) circuits use double
integrating filters in the amplifier’s feedback circuitry to
protect loudspeakers in several different ways. First, they
center asymmetrical audio waveforms that cause off-center
woofer cone movement. Off-center cone movement
increases loudspeaker heating and distortion while reducing
the loudspeaker’s power handling ability. Second, LOI
filters unwanted DC and subsonic frequencies using a
third-order Butterworth filter with a 35 Hz corner
frequency. Third, LOI filters unwanted ultrasonic frequencies
(RF) that can cause tweeter burnout using a secondorder
Bessel filter with a 50 kHz corner frequency.
Old 23rd September 2012, 03:08 AM   #1020
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEO Dan View Post
I'm really curious as to where fudging S2 via an inflated cone correction became a good idea? The 18SW115 is really not going to make it to 60mm p-p without dammage, in fact it is hard to drive to 40mm p-p, and that's with HUGE amounts of power.
Hi Dan,

When a driver is pushed to its limits it will start producing asymmetric forces. For the suspension that is usually around the Fs of the driver, for the motor that is usually when the BL drops significant, or when the system increases the induction below the Fs of the driver. Tapped Horns and horns in general have the habit to generate all three factors.

To suppress these asymmetric forces you can do several things, Push-Pull, increasing compression at the cone (as long it is equally distributed from the centre) and using capable amplifiers like Djk already explained.

In my view, the "V" was developed for this reason just like it was used in old horns decades ago. The more capable the driver (like the B&C 18SW115 for instance) the less compensation is needed to deal with asymmetric forces. But the reality is that most people don’t have such driver and still want to be able to get the maximum out of theirs.

The "V" as used in the Xoc1-TH18-MkI is not much different as adding a restricted throat but with the convenience of allowing to increase the horn-path. Cone correction alone does not help in decreasing asymmetric forces.

Hide this!Advertise here!