Looking for subwoofer designs for PA use - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th June 2011, 04:21 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Looking for subwoofer designs for PA use

I have read this forum up and down. found some good info for sure. my situation, i have a little cash and i am looking for a design that will out run my current set up. currently, which is nothing special, running 2 peavey SP118X and 2 peavey HC118; large boxes to wrestle and have to be careful on how much power. now, they don't sound half bad with some EQing. size really isn't an issue if i only have to lug around 2 subs instead of 4. driver cost i'd like to keep reasonable, but i know this will make or break a good design.
Old 6th June 2011, 04:57 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
The first question is, is the installation stationary, or it should be portable? What SPL and frequency range do you want from it?
Old 6th June 2011, 10:45 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavebourn View Post
The first question is, is the installation stationary, or it should be portable? What SPL and frequency range do you want from it?
it will be portable. it will be used for live sound (band) so the frequency range can be 45 to say 120. don't know exactly what SPL level. we play a lot of small indoor shows say a couple hundred people. i use QSC RMX2450 amps and a DCX2496 crossover.
Old 6th June 2011, 10:30 PM   #4
Djim is offline Djim  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scameron78 View Post
it will be portable. it will be used for live sound (band) so the frequency range can be 45 to say 120. don't know exactly what SPL level. we play a lot of small indoor shows say a couple hundred people. i use QSC RMX2450 amps and a DCX2496 crossover.
Maybe you could check out the threads about the Jbell SS15 or the smaller Martinsson THAM.

Both are relative: compact, light weight, have extended bandwidth for what you are looking for and both have the advantages of tapped horns (+5dB in sensitivity compared to basreflex). Both designs are proven concepts with a good balance between economics, size and SPL output.

Your QSC RMX2450 delivers 2450Watt at 4ohm bridged so you have to look for drivers that can deal with at least 1200 Watts each and are compatible with one of the designs. In the threads you can find the compatible drivers.

Last edited by Djim; 6th June 2011 at 10:40 PM.
Old 6th June 2011, 10:31 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/
Old 7th June 2011, 02:20 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon7000 View Post
yeah, i have several of his plans. i am still not convinced on those designs. now i have never heard them, but everyone on the site claim they are the holy grail. i don't know, just seems to good to be true.
Old 7th June 2011, 02:40 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

i'm liking Jbell's SS15 design
Old 7th June 2011, 03:03 AM   #8
Djim is offline Djim  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

In that case I should check the Xoc1 TH18-2 also.
It's bigger than Jbells SS15 but based on the same principles and can be loaded with many more drivers (15's and 18's) that can handle the full power of your amp easily.
Old 7th June 2011, 05:14 AM   #9
60ndown is offline 60ndown  United States
diyAudio Member

im a huge subwoofer fan, i mean i L.O.V.E. a good sub and clean deep low lows, but some of these designs scare me, they are such complicated builds, any error in construction or design could be catastrophic.

K.I.S.S principle works with all things.

with modern subwoofers having very long throw/excursion, and power being relatively cheap, if i was wanting a portable loud subwoofer for a band id lean towards a simple design with a very good driver/s and lots of power.

for what its worth, i built a karlson sub last week

Karlson Plans

because of,

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwo...rectional.html

its much better then i thought it would be, and on a stage, you want the bass to go towards the crowd not behind the band.

'tune-able' and simple build

in a room/club/dancefloor/ht system lots of 'omni-directional' subs work,

but this karlson design is different.
Old 7th June 2011, 06:54 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

run two qsc 2450's bridged into two of the 18 sound 2400 drivers in a TH18.....that should make plenty of noise!

Hide this!Advertise here!