The quest for full HT range..at condo dB levels.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi RacinJason1971,

"...Headroom is good!" No doubt about that, and I was wondering about the headphone subwoofer myself; obviously, that dual (W-baffle) ripol is not that low in output.

As an aside, my personal preference has always been for two dual 15" sealed box subs, even at low volume, but I'll give some form of dipoles/ripols a try next (whenever that may be.....).

Regards,

One thing that stands out as a possible con is the lack of output. I saw the pic of the dual sub setups *right* behind the listeners head. Just how limited is the output on these I am wondering. Will one 'ripol' be enough for a 13-foot square area - down too below 30hz? I'm not asking for scary levels but I'd like the ability to make people jump on explosions, etc atleast :) Headroom is good!
The "Texas Headphone" approach used for deaf drummers (a sub on either side) will give you an added 6 dB in the center position.The sub level with a sub pointing center on either side of a couch ends up quite even all the way across the couch.

For your situation, taking advantage of the inverse square law (every doubling of distance reduces level by 6 dB) is very important. By moving the subs to head level on each side of the couch you could increase level at the listening position by 10 dB or more, which translates to the low frequency sounding twice as loud to you with no increase in level to the neighbors.

The Haas effect also helps the sub level in a "Texas Headphone", what we hear first seems to sound louder, if your subs are closer than the main speakers they will seem louder even if they are not.

Art

Weltersys - I apologize for the delayed response. I thought I had replied to you.

The headphone method is exactly what I'm planning on going with, thank you for the detailed response. I actually have a fireplace right next to the center couch with a hearth that would put the mouth at about shoulder level. Probably close enough if I match the height on the other side I'm guessing. That's the plan anyways. 10dB boost on just the couch sounds great! but..

With no corner loading am I going to get the response? I'm not familiar with tapped horns in the home but I know everything else pretty much needs to be corner loaded to get the full range. Everything I've owned anyways. :)

I'm still reading about the ripols, etc and may try something along that line at some point also. I'm starting to tinker with stereos a lot more lately so it's reasonable I'll try both :)

Now to figure out which route to take getting to twin 'anarchy' builds. I recently learned the anarchy+box discount is no more plus shipping to me on the pre-mades is over 30 per box (too much imo). I'll come up with something though. I'd really like to try the design.

RJ71

Weltersys - I apologize for the delayed response. I thought I had replied to you.

The headphone method is exactly what I'm planning on going with, thank you for the detailed response. I actually have a fireplace right next to the center couch with a hearth that would put the mouth at about shoulder level. Probably close enough if I match the height on the other side I'm guessing. That's the plan anyways. 10dB boost on just the couch sounds great! but..

With no corner loading am I going to get the response? I'm not familiar with tapped horns in the home but I know everything else pretty much needs to be corner loaded to get the full range. Everything I've owned anyways. :)
I have no way to predict what exactly will happen in your room regarding corner loading and it's actual increase in level with frequency.

The fireplace may be a bass trap for all I know, placing a speaker by it could result in a suck out at some frequency, or a boom at others.

The inverse square law is pretty consistent though.

You can check it out with your present woofer, try it in the corner, then move it right behind your head and report back with which seems louder.

If the "Texas Headphone" approach does not seem louder on the couch, and produce less bass outside of your listening area, I will be very surprised.

Art

Last edited:
I'll experiment a bit and report back. I'm currently waiting for the tang band 6.5s to go on sale to make some 'Anarchy' 25hz horns. I'm almost certain I'm going to 'headphone' a pair of these to start with. I'll update with the build results also.

I'm currently trying to find a great budget HT receiver for fathers day. There are lots of deals around but none that fit so far. At the least I'd like a good brand 5.1 w/ upconversion to hdmi, good reviews/ratings, usb/ipod front plug. Multiple older and newer inputs simplified into a single HDMI is the priority followed closely by sound. Power isn't a huge concern. The search continues..

Didn't read the whole thread but wanted to write two things;
-Bass shakers under the couch will give energy to the floor under it equal to all above it. If there is anyone living underneath you, they'll have a blast!
-Dipoles, Ripoles, etc are very good at keeping the bass IN the room, the neighbors won't even know you have a sub.

Happy building! Love to see the result...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.