The quest for full HT range..at condo dB levels. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st May 2011, 12:42 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Cool The quest for full HT range..at condo dB levels.

Hello fellow DIYers.

I'm just another family man looking to maximize my families home movie experience. I'm a tinkerer and I enjoy R&D. But, for someone who has loved audio for 25 years, I sure do have a pathetic home theater! A dated, all-in-one Sony 5.1 shelf system with a cheap Polk 10" cube. Sigh. We finally got a large 1080p panel and blu-ray but something is still just...wrong.

Like many of us, I am stuck in a joined unit complex and must be considerate of neighbors sharing walls with me. I wouldn't want to listen to their noise and I don't expect them to tolerate mine.

So I'm going 'considerately' to try this. I already ordered some Tritrix MTMs with quad 5.25's in TL boxes. I havent got around to shopping low cost receivers yet since I haven't finalized the driver selection. So its time to cover the LOWS. My favorite

What exactly am I looking to do? I would *like* to build a sub enclosure that will cover most HT frequencies cleanly to my living room audiences - but disturb the neighbors as little as possible. I truly enjoy the 20-40hz range in my music & movies and would like to maintain decent in-room levels through out it if possible. Can horns and TLs provide good output with low vibration due to small driver and low power?..or does the enclosure amplification bring all the vibration along with it?

I am new to horn loading and transmission lines from an R&D point of view, but I'm guessing maybe something like a tang bang 8" in a long, tapped horn might come close? I've recently found BFM and am considering some of his designs also. I am still in the 'I know what I want and I'm researching how to get it' phase and I need to know how close to what I want would be a realistic goal for me.

Our living room is 13'4" square with vaulted ceilings rising sharply on one side of the room. My floor plan is widely adjustable and placement locations have little limit. We are about to paint and do carpet so now is the time!

I hope to drop jaws on movie night when this is all done. I'm researching steadily and want to learn. No hand outs needed here. I do humbly accept advice and teachings tho! Audio has always fascinated me and runs in my blood.

I'm hoping for good things.
Jason

13'4" square with cathedral ceilings vaulting up to the right of the screen.
Old 31st May 2011, 01:54 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Unfortunately, all the fun happens at frequencies that are prone to carrying through multiple structures even at low volume. LilMike's Exodus Anarchy tapped horn will get you to 25Hz and may be small enough to use Geddes' multiple sub format to fill the room better.

http://www.techfx.us/web/insubnia/Ex...025hz%20TH.pdf

Multiple Small Subs - Geddes Approach
Old 31st May 2011, 02:01 AM   #3
60ndown is offline 60ndown  United States
diyAudio Member

thanks for being a considerate neighbor

get a few of these attached to the couch and chairs,

Dayton TT25-16 PUCK Tactile Transducer Mini Bass Shaker

Last edited by 60ndown; 31st May 2011 at 02:04 AM.
Old 31st May 2011, 02:08 AM   #4
jbell is offline jbell  United States
diyAudio Member

I 2nd the motion for lilmike's anarchy 6.5 TH. It sounds like EXACTLY what you need.

Also, don't sell the latest generation HTIB's short -- I've been amazed of late exactly what they can do. I always thought they were goofy crossover, bad eq, etc... but come to find out -- it's just the speakers.
The TI digital amps are really quite flat, and the crossover points reasonable. I was amazed, the sub channel was flat down to 20hz, and then a 12db high pass from there. (I was measuring a $150 philips 3371d)

Here is a measurement of one of the little HTIB cubes. Can you guess what the 'marketing speak' is on the response of this speaker???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg daniel-HTIB-speaker.JPG (115.1 KB, 259 views)

Last edited by jbell; 31st May 2011 at 02:15 AM.
Old 31st May 2011, 03:19 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Your requirements are a bit contrary. Say, 95db peaks at 25hz, the neighbors will know you're watching a movie, and so will the neighbors next to them... good luck.
Old 31st May 2011, 04:19 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

I'm in an apartment, and so far, I think running large woofers (2 or 3 way flat down to 40hz) is a better option than a subwoofer. Right now I'm using a 2 way (8") with the woofer of a cerwin v12f with an 80hz f-mod. I know that the subwoofer will go right through the walls at low volumes.

I've been tempted for some bass shakers (clark synthesis platinum) but I don't want to build a platform for my couch, my wife will stub her toe or break it a couple of times a year.

You will not "drop jaws" unless you are at neighbor annoying volume. Look into the platinum bass shaker ($400). I have been tempted for years.
Product Review

Norman
Old 31st May 2011, 04:41 AM   #7
60ndown is offline 60ndown  United States
diyAudio Member

no need for a platform for the couch,

im sure with some ingenuity you could fit a 'shaker' or 4 inside the couch on the frame.

I know i could ......
Old 31st May 2011, 11:42 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

in the review I linked to, they put the shaker under the cushion.

I tried the marked down $30 hockey puck shakers, bolted 4 of them to a couch. But I had the couch on cement (you need those rubber feet). The kids loved them, but I was not impressed, they seemed to not shake much below 70hz using test tones. They did add a bit of fun to video games (thump, thump) but they went back.

But yes, bolt it/them to the couch if you can. My furniture is new, so I can't. The only complaints about them are 1. they can seem a bit sluggish but that's fine for movies, and 2. ideally you have a platform, otherwise your mind goes "Hey why is my body shaking and not my feet also?". Thats just from what I've read, not my personal experience.

Norman
Norman
Old 31st May 2011, 02:40 PM   #9
tb46 is offline tb46  United States
diyAudio Member

Default RiPols for the neighbours.

Hi RacinJason1971,

In addition to the bass shackers you might want to take some time, and research RiPol subwoofers. One of the claims of this design is, that it can set up a somewhat directional low frequency sound field for the listeners, while at the same time keeping the bass from spreading to the neighbours.

Regards,
Old 31st May 2011, 03:24 PM   #10
tb46 is offline tb46  United States
diyAudio Member

Default RiPol link

Hi,

Just a quick link: RiPol-Subwoofer.

Regards,

Hide this!Advertise here!