Best Driver for Sealed Subwoofer - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th August 2003, 02:19 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
only on the tumult which is a waste of money less u have a spare 1.5kw to move it
The Tumult was specifically designed to have high output in a smallish enclosure. Hoffman's iron law kicks in and says you need lots of power to do this. The driver has met it's design goals, I'd say.

Besides, powerful low cost amps are fairly common these days. At least for sub duty.

Pete
Old 15th August 2003, 02:54 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

The ACI SV12 works very well in a 4 cu foot sealed box and I think they still have some scratch and dent specials for under $100 (USD) I bought 2 and they give my single Maelstrom a run for the money.

The pair sound as loud as I would ever need at 200w per channel (Adcom GFA-555) and very musical.
Old 15th August 2003, 03:29 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Plus the
box is pretty small at 150 liter

150L for a 12 isnt small

50l for a 12 is small

like XLS peerless 12.

my 15inch jbl takes a reasonable sized box of 175L when EBS tuned.
Old 15th August 2003, 12:36 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

I believe 150L for TWO 12's is pretty small. I would use 75L for one driver.

What specific Peerless XLS driver would you use for sealed not PR?
Old 16th August 2003, 04:40 AM   #15
Ken L is offline Ken L  United States
diyAudio Member

Default I'm using two NHT1259's

And have been happy with them.

Not sure about the Adire's but they do have a good reputation.

I'm using Madisound cabinets

the NHT1259's seem more accurate to me musically than the only Adire I have heard, the Adire seemed a little on the boomy side- the 1259 cabinets are also twice as large - so it wasn't really apples to apples.

Madisound describes the NHT1259 as lean and tight - which is probably a good description.

Long after I purchased mine, I found out that a number of folks on the bass list thought pretty highly of the NHT1259's - this was essentially a year or two ago so I don't know if that is still the case,

I was _very_ glad I had bought the NHT1259's when I recently started using them as active subs with my horns because I needed a slighlty higher crossover point. Don't know about the Adire's and Lambda's but the 1259's do go higher than many subs.

I would suggest not concerning yourself too much with how flat they are below 50 or so. They all need EQ down there to be flat - plus room modes come heavily into play -

From your posts and this thread, I would say go with the Adire 12's but if you don't want to build cabinets you should seriously consider the 1259's and probably ought to take a quick look at them anyhow.

I know this isn't the exact question that you are asking, but to help you understand how the 1259's sound - I thought they would not integrate as well with the horns as they have - they have really blended seamlessy and they don't have a boomy, boxy sound - a horn sub would be better probably but I was just planning to use them temporarily because they are what I had - however, they sound so good that replacing them is now a much lower priority - I chamged from the plate amps to Crown amps.

Frankly, I would be mildly surprised if the Adire's were as tight - the only thing I know that is negative about the 1259's is that the design is several years old - which in some ways is a plus. My guess is that the 1259's don't generate as much interest as some other subs because of the tight bass. However, it is more musical and real although not as impressive.

If your main interest is HT and not musical - you may well be happier with the Adire's - a little boom and emphasis may be exactly what some HT folks prefer

Regards

Ken L
Old 16th August 2003, 05:00 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Default RE: Ken L and Adire DPL12

Ken,

My small sub that I brought to the recent DBH meeting near Asheville is an Adire DPL12 in a small sealed box --a 15" cube--so that the enclosed volume less the amplifier is in the 1-1.2 cu. ft. (28-34 liters) size, hence, very small for a 12" driver. It is stuffed heavy so that the Q falls to O.71. Modelling predicts a F3 of 35 Hz.

I'm using the RCMAkustik DT300 amp (300 watts RMS and 600 watts peak) and you can adjust the bass boost (either 3 or 6 dB) at 5 Hz increments 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, or 45 Hz. Hence, you can adust for room boost and/or extend the lower F3 point at expense of using more of the Xmax capability. I'm running a 3 dB boost at 30 Hz so that the low end rolloff is extended a little.

The DPL12 would go lower in a larger box but my design shows how you can create a small sub that will sound tight, get to 30 Hz, and yet have a reasonable rolloff into the 20's.

Jim
Old 18th August 2003, 05:38 PM   #17
Ken L is offline Ken L  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Hi Jim -

How are you doing?

What do you think of their Rava sub ?

Uses that same driver -

My son is looking for something for HT/music.

Thanks

Ken L

Hide this!Advertise here!