Crazy box design - Input please!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all. I've been browsing around the forum for a while now, and I must say: I feel belittled :eek:

Before coming here, I would like to have thought I was "savvy" in regards to woofers/enclosures.. Clearly not the case.

So, in my humblest of requests - can someone tell me what kind of "Franken-box" I've designed here?? And how would I go about modeling this on AkAbak/HornResp? Thanks in advance to all who can help

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I literally "winged it", with only basic principles in tact. It falls on its face under 45hz, but 50-90hz is incredible. With the high cutoff however, it makes for a TERRIBLE substage in the Jeep :sad:

This might work :D

KovoCaveMania.jpg

What is your theory here? Sort of a backloaded, tapped horn, ported box?

Well, from what I "think" I understand (lol).. It's a series tuned 4th order (again, I think) combined with a tapped flared "horn" style mouth. I honestly don't know what I was thinking haha. Turned out to be pretty darn loud 45hz+. Sounds great on rock, jazz, etc. Just not "well rounded" for all music, which is my goal.

This might work :D

KovoCaveMania.jpg

^^pretty sweet lookin!

OR, this.... but your original has too many things wrong.

________________________________________________Rick.........

^^also very cool!

Hmm. Some sort of TL or TH with a Helmholtz resonator?

The original name for it ,is known as Double Reflex Chambers At Sight (Sic !! )
Even if this is not the case ,because of the vicinity of the 2nd duct to the first one ( the throat -narrowing between the two chambers ). I did it ,very similar to this ( the port in the middle ...of course ,but also laminar duct may need a deep ...study !!! )
It works great !!!
Good Find!!!!
2nd chamber's volume must be double than number 1 chamber -

Last edited:
Not so Crazy

@ old skool junkie

Hello all. I've been browsing around the forum for a while now, and I must say: I feel belittled

No need to feel that way at all, & full marks for having the courage to post it, & with your nice sketch up :)

Kudos to you for thinking differently, literally "Out of the BOX" I like that, my kinda style too.

You're right, it is series tuned combined with a T "so called Horn"

picowallspeaker got it right, the back portions = Double Chamber Reflex = series tuned. I would add, of sorts due to your "winging it" ;)

If you could redesign the back chambers without "winging it" i expect it might get you a lot nearer to what you're hoping for. I think i'll have a go myself, & if i do i'll post back with a design :)

Regards

Attachments

• icon14.gif
    icon14.gif
    248 bytes · Views: 389
Wow, I must have stumbled on something awesome here! To all that I'm not directly quoting, thank you kindly!

^^ This, good sir, is awesome info. As soon as I get home from work I'm gonna re-design this box properly (as outlined on the link above).

Any thoughts on the "pseudo-horn" mouth for the subs, as I did before? Should I leave it or do away with it? Any input (as always) is greatly appreciated fellas (and ladies, if applicable)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.