Overhung coil - too much?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is this much necessary? Seems to me that sensitivity would suffer terribly. I think these 13 cm drivers are rated at 81 dB. Is this a bit much for what they are trying to achieve? Help me with your wisdom.

Attachments

• DSC00096.jpg
    DSC00096.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 229
  • DSC00097.jpg
    DSC00097.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 228
Maybe a good match for the Aurasound 3" full range driver to be used as a tweeter? The 3" full range has a dismal 80dB 1w/1m.

6mm of Xmax for a 13cm driver is pretty stout, throw in the Aurasound full range for 200Hz and up and you'll have some seriously jumping cones. Might be a good solution for parents of teenaged kids (like me) that like to watch cones moving back and forth. At least it won't smoke their or your hearing. Such is the price you pay for maximum "flex".

Ich spreche kein Deutsch.

Total diameter = 16mm
Diameter cutout = 127mm
Height = 56mm
Cone diameter with surround = 121mm
Cone diameter without surround = 112mm
Effective Cone surface = 98cm2
Impedance = 4Ohm
Voice Coil diameter = 38mm
Voice Coil Height = 16mm
Xmax (linear) = 6mm
Power full range = 60 Watt rms
Power from 80Hz (24dB/Oct) = 80 Watt rms
Power from 130Hz (24dB/Oct) = 120 Watt rms

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Quote: "Die Produktion ist in China unter Taiwanesischer Leitung. Wichtige Teile werden aus Taiwan importiert."

Translation: The production is from China under Taiwanese supervision. Important parts are imported from Taiwan.

[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Sorry Cal , but I recognise German engineering way to well ;) [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

Now for the big question, what are you going to do with your Reckhorns?

Back on the shelf for now, I need something more sensitive. I am building another boombox. The one I just finished is not 'Cal' sized enough.

I just read the specs. I'm hoping they were free.

Close but not quite free. They retail for 39 Euros and do sound ok but too quiet.

Translation: The production is from China under Taiwanese supervision.
Gotcha. Thanks again.

How can you be disappointed with these prices?!

You sound like someone who hires Mr. Chang to make sure you get the bottom price for your roofing and afterwards being disappointed because you aspect to get the same quality as from Bill Turkey's "25 years in Candian Roofing" from Surrey (The characters in this example are purely fictional. Any similarities with real live situation are purely coincidental)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.