Forum novice wants some sub-woofer help.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello.
I've just signed up and wanted to see if I could get an answer before ploughing through threads.

I've recently been given a Logitech Z-5500 sub-woofer only.
Can this be added to a conventional stereo pre-amp? If so, is it an easy task?

Hopefully someone can help.
I look forward to exploring this forum and maybe even being able to help others with their queries.

Karl

Hello Karl and welcome

I have the same system and ripped out all the drivers since the controller cable was damaged.

Here is a video of what it looks like inside

YouTube - Z5500 Inside

Thread on info for the thing

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/chip-amps/110310-hacking-logitech-z5500.html

My plan is a little different from yours, I'm going for a horn loaded sub and use that Tangband 10" to see how far it can go. It will not use the Logitech amp, just the speaker.

Good luck and I hope those links answer your questions.

Karl:
Welcome to the forum!!
Perusing thru some of the vids posted...???.....perhaps you have found the "Operations" of your subwoofer..... & have figured out if your 'standard' RCAs' will plug right in.
Just some observations here for now..I noticed..as many have & probably yourself..The construction of the unit is rather poorly done........but YOU can fix that if your so inclined..This IS Do-It-Yourself after all...
The driver it uses is a Tang-Band....a brand well known here. Although sloppy in construction, the electronics are sound, if not cheap...but functional.
The enclosure is WAY bad........& if you are halfway skilled with wood-working, you can improve this device immensely.
Let us know & we can walk you thru it.

_____________________________________________________Rick.........

Wow! Thanks for the quick replies.

Yet to decide if the video is scary or not. Good to know what's inside... but what am I gonna do with it? It's gonna be a couple of days before I get to this. I'll be honest with you though, if it's more than a day (maybe a weekend) of stuffing around then the box goes on ebay or the street. I just wanted to boost the bottom end of my stereo...
Is the speaker itself good?

I'll let you know how it goes once I take the plunge. First though, I need to find out what 'the "Operations"' are(?).

Cheers guys.

I've had the Z5500 for 7 years and in the last 4 months removed all the speakers and re-used them. The speakers are the best part of the entire system.

When my sons hit the "let's play with the stereo age (13) I put the "good stuff" away and let them beat on a Z5500. After 6 years of use, they only completely destroyed one speaker and finally destroyed the controller cable. Since the forums spoke highly of the Tangband full ranges, I used them to make surround sound arrays--and they do sound good when used in the proper sized, sealed wood enclosure and stuffed.

The 10" sub is very good also--10mm of Xmax, 88dB at one watt and an Fs of 32 Hz make it worth building another enclosure to vastly improve it's abilities. The Logitech build has the box undersized as it prefers around 2 cubic feet and ported. The walls are too thin so the box will flex and be quite boomy.

If you are going to build another box for the woofer, there are videos on youtube to assist you in removing the speaker. The grill must come off first as it is glued on. :mad:

Be forewarned that the plate amp is not complete--it has a toroidal transformer inside the sub box which leaves you two options. Remove the subwoofer and just use the old box to hold the electronics or carefully remove everything and make an amp box.

I'm skipping the electronics, using a 120W plate amp for my horn loaded build.

Here are the specs for the Tangband WT-644F

10" PAPER SUBWOOFER
DCR IMPEDANCE 6.4 ohms 
SENSITIVITY 1W/1m 88 dB
FREQUENCY RESPONSE 32-600 Hz
FREE AIR RESONANCE 32 Hz
VOICE COIL DIAMETER 50 mm
AIR GAP HEIGHT 8 mm
RATED POWER INPUT 180 W
MAXIMUM POWER INPUT 360 W
FORCE FACTOR, BL 14.8 TM
MAGNET WEIGHT (42oz) 1186 g
MOVING MASS 72 g
FERRO FLUID ENHANCED No
SUSPENSION COMPL. 443.7 uMN-1
EFFEC.PISTON AREA 0.035 M2
Levc 4.5422 mH
Zo 181.3319 ohm
X-max 10 mm
Vas 77 Litr.
Qts 0.36
Qms 10.14
Qes 0.37

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.