Tapped horn for B&C 15TBX100 th115 style - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th April 2011, 07:45 PM   #1
Dref is offline Dref  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Default Tapped horn for B&C 15TBX100 th115 style

Hi All

I have build a modified version of wood1y's horn, optimized for B&C 15TBX100.
Pictures can be found here:
Tapped horn for B&C 15TBX100 - Speakerplans.com Forums

Best Regards
Steffen
Old 26th April 2011, 05:49 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

looks great very nice work! how does it sound?
Old 26th April 2011, 08:00 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Overall very nice. The only thing which it isn't superior to the little FLH i am comparing it to is its kick. The FLH has a faster and more direct kick.

It impresses me how well it is able to make prober bass outside even though it is a single cap.
Old 26th April 2011, 07:20 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dref View Post
Overall very nice. The only thing which it isn't superior to the little FLH i am comparing it to is its kick. The FLH has a faster and more direct kick.

It impresses me how well it is able to make prober bass outside even though it is a single cap.
Your TH probably needs a top cabinet delayed by around 7ms to properly align with a top cabinet, without time alignment the TH will lag, sounding "slow".

Are you comparing each cabinet with proper time alignment and EQ with a top cabinet, or just the raw response of the two cabinets?

Noticed your test set up is fairly close to a brick "V" wall, which will reinforce low frequencies a bit over what they would be in actual half space.

I was surprised to measure an additional 4 dB in the octave around 40 Hz in a position about 15 feet from a pair of buildings compared to a position 45 feet from buildings.

Art

Last edited by weltersys; 26th April 2011 at 07:23 PM.
Old 27th April 2011, 03:46 AM   #5
Djim is offline Djim  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Maybe I'm wrong but didn't woody's cab had a +20ms group delay around its 1/3WL?
Old 27th April 2011, 04:16 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Was even worse (and I should use at least 10ms to align with your tops):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Woody's_cab_groupdelay.jpg (68.6 KB, 500 views)

Last edited by Djim; 27th April 2011 at 04:31 AM.
Old 27th April 2011, 10:51 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltersys View Post
Your TH probably needs a top cabinet delayed by around 7ms to properly align with a top cabinet, without time alignment the TH will lag, sounding "slow".

Are you comparing each cabinet with proper time alignment and EQ with a top cabinet, or just the raw response of the two cabinets?

Noticed your test set up is fairly close to a brick "V" wall, which will reinforce low frequencies a bit over what they would be in actual half space.

I was surprised to measure an additional 4 dB in the octave around 40 Hz in a position about 15 feet from a pair of buildings compared to a position 45 feet from buildings.

Art
I was only comparing the raw response i have not yet tried integrating it properly with some tops. I think the most useful information which can be drawn from my little measurement is the comparison between the two as they have had same measurement condition.

Here is my group delay sim:
Click the image to open in full size.

I don't think it is only because of the group delay that i am not a fan of its kick. Here is plot of its simulated impulse response(black) compared to the FLH(red):
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 27th April 2011, 12:11 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Dref, what is the Fs of the FLH system?
Old 27th April 2011, 12:28 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Actually the sim is done with a delta 10 as i couldn't find ts parameters for the EPS 10300L. The delta has an Fs of 66Hz.
Old 27th April 2011, 12:33 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

The lowest impedance peak is at 44Hz with the delta in the FLH

Hide this!Advertise here!