Tapped horn for B&C 15TBX100 th115 style

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Overall very nice. The only thing which it isn't superior to the little FLH i am comparing it to is its kick. The FLH has a faster and more direct kick.

It impresses me how well it is able to make prober bass outside even though it is a single cap.

Overall very nice. The only thing which it isn't superior to the little FLH i am comparing it to is its kick. The FLH has a faster and more direct kick.

It impresses me how well it is able to make prober bass outside even though it is a single cap.
Your TH probably needs a top cabinet delayed by around 7ms to properly align with a top cabinet, without time alignment the TH will lag, sounding "slow".

Are you comparing each cabinet with proper time alignment and EQ with a top cabinet, or just the raw response of the two cabinets?

Noticed your test set up is fairly close to a brick "V" wall, which will reinforce low frequencies a bit over what they would be in actual half space.

I was surprised to measure an additional 4 dB in the octave around 40 Hz in a position about 15 feet from a pair of buildings compared to a position 45 feet from buildings.

Art

Last edited:
Was even worse (and I should use at least 10ms to align with your tops):

Attachments

• Woody's_cab_groupdelay.jpg
    Woody's_cab_groupdelay.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 688
Last edited:
Your TH probably needs a top cabinet delayed by around 7ms to properly align with a top cabinet, without time alignment the TH will lag, sounding "slow".

Are you comparing each cabinet with proper time alignment and EQ with a top cabinet, or just the raw response of the two cabinets?

Noticed your test set up is fairly close to a brick "V" wall, which will reinforce low frequencies a bit over what they would be in actual half space.

I was surprised to measure an additional 4 dB in the octave around 40 Hz in a position about 15 feet from a pair of buildings compared to a position 45 feet from buildings.

Art

I was only comparing the raw response i have not yet tried integrating it properly with some tops. I think the most useful information which can be drawn from my little measurement is the comparison between the two as they have had same measurement condition.

Here is my group delay sim:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I don't think it is only because of the group delay that i am not a fan of its kick. Here is plot of its simulated impulse response(black) compared to the FLH(red):
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Besides it is normal that a FLH should have a better impulse response (it doesn’t have a negative signal like a TH) you also comparing impulse responses from two different drivers in two complete different designs. In a quick driver comparison you have a 15” and a 10” surface which gives significant difference in air resistance. If you look to the motor force versus the mass it needs to move and to stop, you can see the Delta (with its relative very low mass and relative very high BL force) is also in a big advantage when it comes to impulses.

If you want to compare TH versus FLH in a fair way you need to put the B&C in a FLH with the same Fs as your TH, both designs filtered at the same freq with 24dB/oct low-pass (to where the TH is going to be used) and then measure (and/or listen to) the difference. In case you use a top for the comparison make sure you use the same top for each design (not 'similar' type) and use a make up delay (10ms) in combi with the TH/top.

Last edited:
It was never my intention to make this comparison fair ;) I just used the small FLH to give people a reference. If it should be a fair comparison then the FLH should also be as big as the tapped horn.
Even though the TBX has a lower EBP there is no doubt in my mind that it will kick just fine in the FLH. My only point was that, as expected, the tapped horn doesn't kick as well as a FLH but it has a nicer low end. It is still my intention to use it crossed somewhere between 100-200hz(Haven't build the intended tops yet) as for most music the kick is enough. It just doesn't have that feeling like the kick is a big metal piece hitting my body.

Last edited:
Yes with music which needs a very hard kick it would be necessary with another cap doing the kick.

I am going to test some other drivers in the tapped horn next time i drag it out for a test to se how sensitive the design is to the driver used. I have a PD 1550 and a GBS 3615 laying around so will test with those if i can make them fit. I actually also have some eminence omega 15pro's but i think it would be pointless putting them in this horn.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.