Is this 18 Sound Driver good for Home Theater?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
..subwoofer for home theater... this is recommended for HT and will it go deep enough...

Hi,

One driver in a ~ 8 cu,ft T-TQWT looks IMO to be a very good choice for HT applications.

b:)

Attachments

• 18NLW9-100.JPG
    18NLW9-100.JPG
    268.1 KB · Views: 259
Are you working with an 18 Sound dealer? I've been trying to get pricing on a couple drivers without success.

18NLW9400 - Extended LF Neodymium Driver

I can buy 3 of these drivers for 780USD or 2 for 550$ including shipping.
I would like to build 1 sealed dual subwoofer for home theater. I am wondering if this is recommended for HT and will it go deep enough. I will be using a ep2500 to power 2 of them.

Thank you for your input

I've considered ALL drivers.

I've gone away from sealed now. I think I can go something like a THT or large ported. Whats the benefits of a TQWT compared to a THT?

Will 18NLW9400 get down to 15hz? The 18NLW9600 is 380$, the 9400 is a deal so I am considering that MORE.

Thanks for the help.

I've gone away from sealed now. I think I can go something like a THT or large ported. Whats the benefits of a TQWT compared to a THT?

Will 18NLW9400 get down to 15hz? The 18NLW9600 is 380$, the 9400 is a deal so I am considering that MORE.

Thanks for the help.
shure, it wil do ~90 db from 15>60hz @ 2.83 volt ~300ltr or more if you make it bigger
i modelled a tqwp a while ago .
its for in a corner,small footprint,
your driver wil work in that one.
difficult bild thou.
the post can be found here and further in that topic

Last edited:

Thanks for the help.

Hi,

Considering sub use only the T-TQWT is much smaller in size for a given f-3dB compared to what a TH must be.

The T-TQWT/T-QWP pre-pulse is large in amplitude and heard fused with the TQWT:main-pulse and the summed response is easily integrated with the main speakers as the gldy can be kept low enough to not causing severe gldy ripple or other amplitude/phase errors.

Note the distinction:A TQWT like an TL sums the pressure from the driver and terminus at far-field but the T-TQWT or a T-QWP immediately at the port acting as a pressure point-source.

Unlike a TH the T-TQWT or T-TQWP are normally stuffed with damping material for SQ reasons at most half-ways down the line (~75% down for a TL/TQWT) that effectively reduce the ripple coming up above the in-band without loosing much amplitude at the lowest frequencies (~dB at most).

The T-TQWT/T-QWP have a FR dip at the 3rd harmonic or 3/4 wave opposed to a TH that shows a peak.

Both the T-TQWT/T-QWP and the TH type show also a large gldy peak at the 3rd harmonic that is never heard for a T-TQWT but a problem if not tamed for a TH.

There are more to this...but summing up: A TH sub(f-3dB lower than-40 Hz) sounds very different (SQ-wise) when compared to a T-TQWT: I don't recommend the use of a TH sub for HT at home and never for music listening…but that's my opinion...

15 Hz?...The consequences is shown here below:

b:)

Attachments

• 2x18NLW9400_354L_T-TQWT-TH.JPG
    2x18NLW9400_354L_T-TQWT-TH.JPG
    412.7 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.