10" Subwoofer < $100 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th April 2011, 11:07 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 10" Subwoofer < $100

http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchf...8/1081060W.PDF

That is the Infinity 1060w specs. A 4 ohm driver with a low qts of .41.

Anyways, I am planning on building a PORTED downfiring subwoofer for my bedroom with that woofer. I will not be running a lowpass/crossover. Floor will do that work for me.

What drivers would you recommend for such an application. I would them to be under $100. I would go with an Image Dynamics but that is out of budget.

Oh and I have modeled this driver in WinISD. 1.5 cubic feet tuned to 31hz is nice and pretty.

Thanks - Andrew
Old 25th April 2011, 12:13 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

May I ask why you seem to be set on using car audio drivers for a home sub......as most need the gain of an auto cabin to perform well. Also, not lowpassing (budget?) your future sub is a recipe for a disappointing listening experience IMO. The floor may do "some" filtering, but in essence you'll have a stereo signal coming from your mains......combined with a muffled mono channel, up to the subs' high end cutoff that is. You'll also need some sort of steep (12-24db) high pass, or else you'll blow the sub in a ported box, best case the cone/surround junction will separate. I'd look for a proper home audio sub
Peerless 830668 10" Paper Cone SLS Subwoofer

Last edited by steviedon; 25th April 2011 at 12:19 AM.
Old 25th April 2011, 12:31 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Well crossovers eat up SO much dang power. And actually my last sub (a dayton Quatro 8) I ran in a vented box with no filter. Sounded fine really.

And that infinity, looking at the specs is a very good driver. I just compared it to a Dayton Classic 10 subwoofer, and it can go much lower in the same size box tuned the same. Even in a box designed right for it, the Dayton still blows it away. And they are the same price.
Old 25th April 2011, 12:38 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

What do you intend to power the sub with? A passive sub X-over will rob some power, and is generally a costly endeavor (big caps). Also, any reason why you're set on a 10", a bedroom setup might be fine with an 8"....or even a 6 1/2.

Last edited by steviedon; 25th April 2011 at 12:40 AM.
Old 25th April 2011, 12:44 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Oh no. I had that dayton 8 in my room. I over designed the box because I was stupid. It was an 8 inch in a ported box tuned to 34hz. It woud hits its xmax due to the box being too big.

Wasnt enough
Old 25th April 2011, 01:50 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

And that peerless has way too high of a VTS for a ported application
Old 25th April 2011, 02:18 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

If you're wanting more and are willing to step up to 12", this would be 1st on MY list for $100.
SW-12B - SW-12B
Old 25th April 2011, 02:29 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

That is a nice woofer.
Old 25th April 2011, 11:12 AM   #9
bjorno is offline bjorno  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to bjorno
FYI:

The GR_SW-12B in a T-TQWT:

b
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GR-SW-12B.JPG (260.1 KB, 169 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!