Air leak in ss15 TH severely affect output?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just got my 3015lf for the ss15 i built and i fired it up. I wasn't that impressed with it. I cut the hole in the wood to 14" diameter, and as it is now where each bolt hole is, around the mating surface there appears to be a tiny tiny gap. So I don't think that the sub is completely sealed against the baffle.
Any way to fix this? I was thinking cut out a smaller diameter hole on a new board (13.5"?) and glue and screw that to the old one, but I don't know how much that would change the design of the ss15. Any other opinions? Hot glue? I don't want to use a permanent glue on there and get it all over the speaker!

What I do is use 3/8" window and door foam (sticky one side) that you can buy at home depot for about $2. I run a ring all the way around the 3015lf, and cut 45 degree angles so the points overlap. I then mount the driver and run my screws through the foam into the baffle board.

In your case, maybe some 1/2" or 3/4" wide would be appropriate, so that you can make sure your screws go through it, and the foam can make your seal.

Also -- just one of those things you MUST do with 3015lf's is break them in. The spider is really stiff and if you don't, you'll be underwhelmed on first fire up.

If you try to stretch the foam, it'll not stay in place -- that's the only problem I have. I put the roll in the middle of the cone, and pull off the backing a few inches at a time and just guide it around the 3015lf, making sure I lay it down without pulling or pushing. (the adhesive is pretty terrible) And once in place - it stays. When you pull your driver down tight it compresses to only a paper thickness at most, but always gives a nice tight seal.

If you try to stretch the foam, it'll not stay in place -- that's the only problem I have. I put the roll in the middle of the cone, and pull off the backing a few inches at a time and just guide it around the 3015lf, making sure I lay it down without pulling or pushing. (the adhesive is pretty terrible) And once in place - it stays. When you pull your driver down tight it compresses to only a paper thickness at most, but always gives a nice tight seal.

IMO, instead of putting the foam on the driver, lay it around the hole in the baffle. Place it so that it's overhanging the edge by about 1~2mm.

I sealed it all off with the foam that worked well but i still feel like something is wrong.... If I sit right in front of the mouth of the horn i get that nice punch and feel in my chest/stomach but stand up and a few feet back and i feel like there is no bass. i'm not testing it outside, i'm inside in a smaller room, so maybe it's reflecting off the walls etc, but still i do not feel like the output is where it should be on this?

If I sit right in front of the mouth of the horn i get that nice punch and feel in my chest/stomach but stand up and a few feet back and i feel like there is no bass. i'm not testing it outside, i'm inside in a smaller room, so maybe it's reflecting off the walls etc, but still i do not feel like the output is where it should be on this?
Inverse square law, every doubling of distance looses 6 dB.
The difference between 1/2 and 1, 1 and 2 meters will be the same as from 2 to 4.

If you want the same feel at 2 meters as one, make another cabinet, that will add 6 dB (if powered up with equal level as the first).

its for a beach radio its supposed to be semi portable lol i can't build another one. thats why i wanted the most possible output from a single cab, and that is why i chose the ss15...

i guess i'll break it in some more then try it out in the open and see how it sounds. thanks for all the help!

I bought the KL 3015LF and a DL II 2515 to evaluate as mid-bass drivers so I really did not want to run them hard. I just have crown k1 for my test rig. I generally shoot for 2/3 Xmax for an hour or more then I will raise the level and listen for noises near the suspension limits followed by a few minutes back at the origional level. The filtered pink noise is good for getting the driver moving and keeping the driver cool.

i brought it out to a parking lot for some 2pi testing it sounds pretty good now! i guess it was just cancellation i was hearing. but now i kinda want more bass, hmmm
A TH that gives you both, high SPL and low end, needs quiet some volume for a 3015lf driver. If you need more low end and you can live with less SPL take out all internal bracing of your SS15 and make a bassreflex from it: tune it to 35Hz and you will have -3dB from 35Hz - 800Hz and 5.5dB less of total SPL compared to your SS15.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.