Dayton Classic drivers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm interested in building an ultra-budget (<$200, driver and amp) subwoofer to evaluate whether or not I even like the idea of a subwoofer in my listening environment. (I know, a cheap subwoofer will not be indicative of everything a cost-no-object unit could do, but I'll take the chance. And I'm not looking to get flamed on this count...but flame away, as long as it's constructive!) This is only for music listening, and will be coupled with a pair of mini-towers that get decent, even response down to about 70 Hz, and less even response down to 50 Hz, and next to nothing below that. Ideally I'd be crossing the sub over around 80 Hz.

I'm eyeing the Dayton Classic series of paper cone woofers, in particular the 8" model, DCS205 (Solen Electronique Inc. or the Quattro, QT210-4 (Solen Electronique Inc.). I can't really say why these drivers have caught my attention, and I'm open to any other suggestions - preferably not larger than 10", as cost really starts to mount. I'm also eyeing the 100w Dayton plate amp, but could be convinced to go up or down a bit. I'm in Canada, so I'd prefer stuff that's available at Solen or CSS.

Another catch: I'd like it to be fairly small - say, a 14" cube, give or take a few inches. I'm not averse to something slightly more exotic than a sealed box - ported, of course, or maybe a push-pull or passive radiator...?

Thanks for any advice, links to well-tested plans or other sites, etc.!

i have the dayton 8" in a .6-.7 CF sealed enclosure using it as a midbass inbewteen the two seats of my CRV. i like it, its no't bad.

I used the dayton 12" DVC woofers in a tower speaker build i did for my uncle (2 cubic foot sealed chamber), i powered them with an onkyo a9555, they really provided a ton of clean bass (esp for the price)!

A bit of an update... I did a bit of math and checking this morning, and am pretty much set on the Dayton SD270A-88 10" DVC and SA100 amplifier. I'm looking at a 30-35 litre sealed cube with 1 1/8" staved beech baffle and 1" MDF everywhere else. Ample bracing that would probably reduce box volume, including driver and amp displacement, to about 28 litres - plus a pound or so of stuffing.

Anyone care to dissuade me from such a set up?! :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.