Do 2 woofers need a bigger box than 1?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All, I just got 4 CV S-10.4 sub drivers and want to make some small cubes for a distributed sub set up. When I look at box size, how do I look at 2 drivers in di or bi pole? Does the box have to be bigger than if I was only using 1 driver?

I'm i've looking at the same question, but i'm a newbie so , my answer don't take it seriuosly , just to "try and guide you", but i'll try and help :)
I've opened a post with my design, with 2 driver setup, and what a i did is do the calculations as they where one but changing the T/S parameters (*2Vas, *2Sd, Fs=>??? still don't know how to predict it or mesure how it will vary if 2 driver standard configuration are setup... But think they said Fs goes down 1 or 2 Hz...dunnno)

Well, i did an excel, and did the calculations for 1 driver Vb(L) =198,82L, and then for 2 drivers Vb(L)= 442,14539 both with the same alignment C4 and a Bass reflex box.

Dunno...if it has answered the question...? But i think the box has to be bigger, or atleast the calculations say so :)

for sure a lot of knowledge people here, will correct me and give better answer :)

I don't have the T/S for these drivers and as far as I can tell CV never published them. I have a friend with Woofer Tester. I'll have to get over to his place and test them, then I can calc the box size. I was kind of hoping the answer would be "no" the box does not have to be bigger. Oh well.

I if you plan on putting two identical woofers in one box you must double the volume of the box as if you were using a single woofer to get the same performance as one woofer.

Use a program such as "winlsd" (it is free) to model your box once you get your t/s parameters as it will be much easier and less of a headache than doing all the math by hand. jer

Two Drivers, same box

I'm i've looking at the same question, ....what a i did is do the calculations as they where one but changing the T/S parameters (*2Vas, *2Sd, Fs=>??? ... But think they said Fs goes down 1 or 2 Hz...dunnno)....

Dunno...if it has answered the question...? But i think the box has to be bigger, or atleast the calculations say so... End Quote]

Hi there: For two identical drivers: Vb, the box size will be twice the volume for one. and ...Vas, (a T/S parameter) will be twice the value of one. and....The impedance (ohms) when connected in series will be twice th value of one and when connected in parallel will be one half the value of one. ...Fs, the driver free air resonance for one will not change when using two. ... Cone movement will be one half when two drivers are used. ...regards, Michael

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.