Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st March 2011, 06:59 PM   #1
Anima is offline Anima  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Default Tony Gee's serious sub - experiences?

Hi all

Looking for a powerful subwoofer which has nice SQ. I've found Tony Gee's hp and his own subwoofer project named "serious sub".

Have anyone tried building those and perhaps could describe the sound from the subs? - i'm looking for something i will keep in the long term and i am thinking of building one like a a dresser of some sort that will blend in with the decor.

I've only had experience with 12" subs from velodyne..
Old 31st March 2011, 07:14 PM   #2
adason is offline adason  United States
diyAudio Member

no personal experience with "serious sub", but 12" does not really cut it as a sub
my main speakers use 12" coaxial as a midrange, 2x15" as a woofers, and I have 18" cervin vega in the wall built in as a sub
when it comes to the sub, the bigger the better!
go for it!
Old 31st March 2011, 07:46 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

yeah, 12" subs are not exactly considered big.

You know what? - i'm just tired of buying overpriced gear that does not satisfy me. I just want more.. So i'm building my own home cinema at the age of 23. I've had good experiences with amps from 41HZ (built by V-bro - he's very nice and has answered alot of my (stupid newbie) questions). It just seems that the DIY route is better.. you don't have new models every 6 months and you know they perform to spec.. And often, you pay a fraction of the price for something that can compete with the high end offerings from prestigious manufacturers..

I'm kinda standing on a pier with a fishing pole hoping for someone to say they have compared it to some overpriced commercial offering that got shown the door..

It's kinda a large project since i have not done it before, so i need some kind of confirmation. Not much info about the sound is given on Tony's page.. However, it seems that many DIY'ers trust that guys work - so it cannot be bad..
Old 31st March 2011, 08:40 PM   #4
adason is offline adason  United States
diyAudio Member

I too trust tony gees designs, just by looking at his web page
when it comes to the sub, selecting a good driver, putting into well build box of sufficient volume is all you need, correctly placing the sub in the room and matching its level and crossover with the rest of the system will be another chalenge, but that should be fun
Old 31st March 2011, 08:49 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I may just reveal my lack of knowledge, but i had a suspicion that placing it directly in front of the couch (between the front speakers) would be somewhat a very good placement.. No room (or little) roomgain, just the magic of a decent sub..

Hide this!Advertise here!