Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th March 2011, 05:37 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Driver repair question

I just bought a pair of used Shiva Woofers at a hamfest for a really good price. Well, turns out one has a problem. On one speaker the spider separated from the voice coil for a little over an inch, and there are half inch tears in the spider at the ends of the separation radiating away from the voice coil. The speaker still sounds good except for a little noise coming from the spider.

I would like to fix it if possible. I think I can get some glue into the spider/voice coil joint fairly easily. What kind of adhesive would be best for this?

How about repairing the tears in the spider? Possibly with some flexible adhesive? Maybe rubber cement and a little cloth reinforcement? Silicon? Do I even need to repair the spider if I get it solidly reattached to the voice coil?

Any speaker repair guys around here? Thanks!
Old 27th March 2011, 07:12 PM   #2
AMV8 is offline AMV8  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi
I have made a number of repairs to speakers but not the one that you are planning.
However from experience I would use a polyurathane glue. Possibly that is what you mean by rubber cement. I would kevlar cloth if you can find some otherwise glass fibre.
Don
Old 27th March 2011, 08:41 PM   #3
Ron E is offline Ron E  United States
diyAudio Member

you probably don't need to repair the tears as long as the spider is attached. I don't have a recommendation for glue, although what I have seen in speakers looks rather like epoxy. Take a look at a website called thistothat...
Old 27th March 2011, 10:55 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I recommand fast epoxy glue to repair jonction of the speeder to the voice coil. Be carefull to not drop glue into magnet assembly! The driver must be left upside-down ! This done, you can test the driver after 24 hrs or so. It can works OK with this cure only.
Tears in the spider can be cured with silicon (like used in bathroom...) but you must use a minimum quantity of silicon. Again, 24 hrs before tests... another possibility is small pieces of very light fabric impregnated with liquid rubber. Again be carefull, use minimum, additionnal weight is The Enemy !
Always, whith precaution and precision !

PL.
Old 27th March 2011, 11:17 PM   #5
AEIOU is offline AEIOU  United States
Account disabled at member's request

Send a message via AIM to AEIOU Send a message via MSN to AEIOU Send a message via Yahoo to AEIOU
Quote:
Originally Posted by P.Lacombe View Post
I recommand fast epoxy glue to repair jonction of the speeder to the voice coil. Be carefull to not drop glue into magnet assembly! The driver must be left upside-down ! This done, you can test the driver after 24 hrs or so. It can works OK with this cure only.
Tears in the spider can be cured with silicon (like used in bathroom...) but you must use a minimum quantity of silicon. Again, 24 hrs before tests... another possibility is small pieces of very light fabric impregnated with liquid rubber. Again be carefull, use minimum, additionnal weight is The Enemy !
Always, whith precaution and precision !

PL.
Kind of reminds me of a repair I once did for an apartment neighbor. This particular neighbor would play his music (big loudspeakers) too loud and it disturbed me sometimes. He needed one of his woofers fixed. I offered him to repair it with the caveat that my repair might not be successful. The epoxy I used ran down into the voice coil and permanently solved my problem, especially since he couldn't afford to buy a replacement!
Old 30th March 2011, 07:56 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

I use epoxy to do these sorts of repairs.
Use it sparingly as you don't need much and take your time.
Also I would suggest a slow setting one to insure that you can get the part properly aligned before it sets.

You can use apeice steel wire such as TIG or MIG wire to get in tight spaces.

IMHO, DON'T USE, a polyurethane glue foams and can misalign and seperate the components while curing and if it runs down the voice coil former,
YOUR DONE.

Silicone can work but it is very messy especialy when it doesn't readily stick to some materials very well such paper cones.

Super glue works good for tears very well as it as very light and won't adsd any considerable amount of mass like some other types of glues.

I hope that helps . jer

P.S. I have have repaired many speakers this way and recently have torn the vioce competely from the cone again,but, a different driver of course . I have done this about six times in the last few years and this makes lucky number seven.
And they all still work. jer

Last edited by geraldfryjr; 30th March 2011 at 08:09 AM.
Old 30th March 2011, 12:13 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the reply's. I'll use epoxy to reattach the spider to the voice coil. I may just leave the tear alone and keep an eye on it to see if it worsens.

Hide this!Advertise here!