Driver repair question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just bought a pair of used Shiva Woofers at a hamfest for a really good price. Well, turns out one has a problem. On one speaker the spider separated from the voice coil for a little over an inch, and there are half inch tears in the spider at the ends of the separation radiating away from the voice coil. The speaker still sounds good except for a little noise coming from the spider.

I would like to fix it if possible. I think I can get some glue into the spider/voice coil joint fairly easily. What kind of adhesive would be best for this?

How about repairing the tears in the spider? Possibly with some flexible adhesive? Maybe rubber cement and a little cloth reinforcement? Silicon? Do I even need to repair the spider if I get it solidly reattached to the voice coil?

Any speaker repair guys around here? Thanks!

Hi
I have made a number of repairs to speakers but not the one that you are planning.
However from experience I would use a polyurathane glue. Possibly that is what you mean by rubber cement. I would kevlar cloth if you can find some otherwise glass fibre.
Don

I recommand fast epoxy glue to repair jonction of the speeder to the voice coil. Be carefull to not drop glue into magnet assembly! The driver must be left upside-down ! This done, you can test the driver after 24 hrs or so. It can works OK with this cure only.
Tears in the spider can be cured with silicon (like used in bathroom...) but you must use a minimum quantity of silicon. Again, 24 hrs before tests... another possibility is small pieces of very light fabric impregnated with liquid rubber. Again be carefull, use minimum, additionnal weight is The Enemy !
Always, whith precaution and precision !

PL.

Disabled Account
Joined 2009
I recommand fast epoxy glue to repair jonction of the speeder to the voice coil. Be carefull to not drop glue into magnet assembly! The driver must be left upside-down ! This done, you can test the driver after 24 hrs or so. It can works OK with this cure only.
Tears in the spider can be cured with silicon (like used in bathroom...) but you must use a minimum quantity of silicon. Again, 24 hrs before tests... another possibility is small pieces of very light fabric impregnated with liquid rubber. Again be carefull, use minimum, additionnal weight is The Enemy !
Always, whith precaution and precision !

PL.

Kind of reminds me of a repair I once did for an apartment neighbor. This particular neighbor would play his music (big loudspeakers) too loud and it disturbed me sometimes. He needed one of his woofers fixed. I offered him to repair it with the caveat that my repair might not be successful. The epoxy I used ran down into the voice coil and permanently solved my problem, especially since he couldn't afford to buy a replacement!

I use epoxy to do these sorts of repairs.
Use it sparingly as you don't need much and take your time.
Also I would suggest a slow setting one to insure that you can get the part properly aligned before it sets.

You can use apeice steel wire such as TIG or MIG wire to get in tight spaces.

IMHO, DON'T USE, a polyurethane glue foams and can misalign and seperate the components while curing and if it runs down the voice coil former,
YOUR DONE.

Silicone can work but it is very messy especialy when it doesn't readily stick to some materials very well such paper cones.

Super glue works good for tears very well as it as very light and won't adsd any considerable amount of mass like some other types of glues.

I hope that helps . jer

P.S. I have have repaired many speakers this way and recently have torn the vioce competely from the cone again,but, a different driver of course . I have done this about six times in the last few years and this makes lucky number seven.
And they all still work. jer

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.