18 Sound suggested designs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
there are 2 designs i have always been interested in. working with their concept of each, i've been trying to design my cabinets around the peavey low rider 18. the first concept is the 18 sound dual 15 kit. http://www.eighteensound.com/staticContent/applications/kits/18Sound_kit15_dual.pdf
now i would use the low rider and adjust the chamber for the 18 driver. also to help cut down size i've adopted the M&K look with one driver facing forward and the other firing up. only in design mode but i wanted to hear from any one that has experience with a push-pull cabinet.

the other is the 18 sound dual 18 bandpass. i like the look, but don't know how it would perform with the peaveys. looks like my LF chambers would have to be pretty big? i've been messing with bassbox pro. i heard an old set of EV MTL-4s and i liked the sound. i believe they are a manifold design? same concept as the 18 sound bandpass only with 4 drivers per unit and huge. i guess i am really thinking out loud here. i am looking for a different design besides the usual reflex. have 4 peavey low-riders that will be used for live band application. i'd like a horn design, but completely unsure what design these drivers would work in.

this is the concept i have for the push/pull design.

Attachments

• PushPull.jpg
    PushPull.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 458
Have you modelled that box ? What's the mach velocity for the all the 4*4 ports on each sub? (Djk)? has boxes like those I think but he has one common slot port on the one side that serves both subs in each box.

i used bassbox pro to figure the cu ft. can't remember what i tuned the box to. the ports seem small to me. don't know if they would be noisy. this was just a quick design. i wanted to get the proportions figured out and over all size of the box. yeah i asked DJK for his concept behind his manifolds. i read a forum where he said you basically figure the cu ft and ports for the driver as if you are building a reflex.

Gretings,

I have also looked at the Eighteensound 2x15¨ plans, as shown above with the site link.

What type of enclosure is that?

1. Is it vented box with inverted (push-pull) speakers?
2. Or is it some kind of band-pass enclosure (and if it is, which type)?

I need exact definition of the type of enclosure, if someone knows correct answer. Also, which software would one use to calculate such a speaker? At the moment there is a freeware on my computer, BassBox 6 Pro. Coult is work? I tried with vented box with push-pull speakers, but it gives very low sensitivity of 91 dB in result, and kinda funny results with cone excursion limitation being low.

Anyway, any assistance is welcome. There is no rush ... just looking.

Hi Scameron,

I also have 4 x 18" Peavey Lowriders. I'm afraid they are not suited to much more than BR designs. I wanted to re-box mine but after much discussion and trying a few things have decided to stick with the small BR design that Peavey recommend. One good thing about the Lowrider is that it is extremely efficient in a small to medium BR. Most of the TH designs we tried with it didn't come close to the BR box low frequency extension. Anyway, you might want to read this thread:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subw...-ss15-18-driver-other-compact-18-designs.html

col.

Gretings,

I have also looked at the Eighteensound 2x15¨ plans, as shown above with the site link.

What type of enclosure is that?

1. Is it vented box with inverted (push-pull) speakers?
2. Or is it some kind of band-pass enclosure (and if it is, which type)?

I need exact definition of the type of enclosure, if someone knows correct answer. Also, which software would one use to calculate such a speaker? At the moment there is a freeware on my computer, BassBox 6 Pro. Coult is work? I tried with vented box with push-pull speakers, but it gives very low sensitivity of 91 dB in result, and kinda funny results with cone excursion limitation being low.

Anyway, any assistance is welcome. There is no rush ... just looking.

that acts like br box with a short of the front panel , u can use bass box to design it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.