Noob needing help. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd March 2011, 12:05 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Noob needing help.

I've read some stuff on this link, which lead me to here.
The Speaker Building Bible - Techtalk Speaker Building, Audio, Video, and Electronics Customer Discussion Forum From Parts-Express.com

From what I've learned, I definitely want a sealed sub.
I care about quality far more than volume. I don't really do 'loud.'

This guide told me to find a project that's been done / proven before, and do it myself.

FYI, my area is 15'x10', will be carpeted. I will be using the sub to listen to country music.

Can anyone suggest a build for me?
The people over on AVS make me think I should do 15".

Reading those articles, I found the text at the bottom.

"The reason is simply that a sealed driver will roll-off at 12db octave in an enclosure with a Qtc of .707. It is also possible to make the sealed enclosure slightly larger and obtain a roll-off of 10db per octave. A ported enclosure will roll-off significantly faster 24db/octave in an enclosure with a Qtc of 1. Other ported enclosures will have similar roll off slopes. The roll off slope of a subwoofer is VERY important when determining in-room response. When attempting to mate the woofer to the typical 20hz room lift of 6-8 db the sealed woofer’s 10-12db roll-off is significantly closer then the ported enclosure 24db roll-off. Matching the subwoofer roll-off to the room lift is necessary to obtain the proper balance between the fundamental and harmonic frequencies reproduced by the subwoofer."

on Subwoofers

Thanks for advice.

Last edited by icor1031; 23rd March 2011 at 12:25 PM.
Old 23rd March 2011, 12:38 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I would like to spend $200-$300 for it.
(why is your post #1 and mine is missing?)

If my budget means smaller than 15", so be it.
Old 23rd March 2011, 12:40 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Sorry, I forgot to answer two of your questions.

My carpentry skills are poor, but I can go slow.. and if all else fails, I can ask my brother who went to college for carpentry.

The $200-$300 is not to include aesthetic costs.

I haven't checked parts express... You mentioned they have kits. How do I know if their kits will hit 20hz or lower, or how many dB it loses over the spread, etc?

*Just checked parts express. They only have 1 sub kit in my price range, and it only goes to 30hz. . . and it's an entire kit, including the cabinet. I probably don't have to do much more than a few screws and wiring? *

I'm a noob, be gentle.

Last edited by icor1031; 23rd March 2011 at 12:47 PM.
Old 23rd March 2011, 01:03 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

What sort of music do you listen to?
How loud do you want it?
Are there any size limitations?

A solid 30Hz output is respectable. I don't know why people think we can hear to 20Hz, I've got headphones that bottom out before I hear 20Hz. For music use, there's not a lot to gain by going that bit lower, unless you like large scale organ music, where 16Hz tends to be the target (and 16Hz occurs rarely in organ music, the buildings around the organ tend not to like it).

Chris
Old 23rd March 2011, 01:05 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

No size limits. I listen to country music, and not loud. 16Hz won't bother my neighbors. I'm not in apartment, and again, I don't listen loud.

My room is 15x10, btw.
Old 23rd March 2011, 01:22 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Why are you responding to your own messages?? :-)
OK. The board musta burped and didn't load the posted messages. I thought you deleted your message, so I deleted mine.
Anyhow... the enclosure needs to be solid and airtight. Rabbeted joints are good, but a butt joint can work as well. Just want you to be aware of it.
Parts Express #300-770 would do you, but I understand you want a bit more involvement. They do have quite a selection, so check out the drivers for something that suits you. Or a plate amp like they use in their kits. They may have some in-house designs on their website, and they have a forum where you can get help. Maybe there's a kit recommended in this diyAudio forum. You definitely don't want to do a "from the ground up" design. A web search is in order.
You're gonna listen to country music, not church organs or the Bass Daddies rap group, so don't get too hung up on "20Hz or lower". There's not much music down at those low frequencies.
Old 23rd March 2011, 01:28 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I know.. that's why I was asking for someone to point me to a project that's been done before, that will match what I need.

I've seen some, but they never post their specs (dB loss over Hz spread).

What about this?
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=295-034

Last edited by icor1031; 23rd March 2011 at 01:35 PM.
Old 23rd March 2011, 01:48 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Never heard or seen one, but it wouldn't be my choice. Especially at $175+.
I'd rather have something like #295-467 or #264-1116. It'd be a more manageable box, too. Throw 100 watts or more at either of these and I think you'd be smiling.
Old 23rd March 2011, 01:49 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

You really need to find a project first, then buy a subwoofer driver that suits the project.
Old 23rd March 2011, 01:50 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

That's what this thread is for! Can anyone point me to projects?

Hide this!Advertise here!