Keystone Sub Using 18,15,&12 Inch Speakers - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th April 2011, 10:11 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Ricci View Post
Dang Art. Careful with the equipment man. Of course its just not a complete day of testing without frying a sound card or mechanically breaking an $800 driver. Both things I have done.

TH distortion is more variable than what you see with traditional direct radiator systems. Some areas are very very clean and others within the fr will have much higher thd than the equivalent direct radiator. The varying loading and pressures on the cone, the xmax variance and more importantly the acoustic boosting at certain freqs causes the thd profile to be highly range dependant unlike a traditional direct box that has a predictable but comparatively smooth thd profile. TH's have much greater swings in thd level through out the operational range.
Josh,
At least when a driver is destroyed while testing one finds the limits of it's potential. Computers riding on the wind just blows.
I do have a bit of an appetite for destruction, do you have pictures of the broken driver?
Did it make funny noises before coming apart?
Are your TH enclosures built yet?

Art
Old 9th April 2011, 03:53 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltersys View Post
Josh,
At least when a driver is destroyed while testing one finds the limits of it's potential. Computers riding on the wind just blows.
I do have a bit of an appetite for destruction, do you have pictures of the broken driver?
Did it make funny noises before coming apart?
Are your TH enclosures built yet?

Art
TH enclosures are still in process. Not sure on an ETA. I will be sure to drop you a note when I get them in.

Picture of the failed driver, which had the triple joint break and ripped the spiders but the coil still never bottomed, a graph of the electrical signal FR and a brief synopsis of what happened are in paragraph 3 & 4 here...
Data-Bass

I had it reconed. User error on my part. The dangers of EQ. The driver has the most displacement available in a single mass produced unit that I am aware of. I have 5 and they have been incredibly rugged over the years but that much power below tune in a ported enclosure is too much for even one of those. 5" p2p excursion is scary looking even from 50+ ft away.
Old 12th April 2011, 03:01 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Default Keystone Mouth compared to full width Exit

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEO Dan View Post
Hi Art,
It would be nice to see the difference in the keystone vs a normal box width terminated TH mouth.
My laptop is back, memory undamaged, screen replaced.

Below are screen shots of the Keystone exit (TH18 S glued), which is 6 inch wide at the top, 12.5 at the bottom, and 25 tall, 306.25 square inches, compared to the normal box width termination of 300 square inches, a 25 x 12inch exit. The Keystone shaped exit smooths out the response, and adds level over most of the pass band.

The next screen shows 200, 300,400 and 500 square inch exits compared to the TH18 S glued (Keystone exit). Although a bit harder to see with all the traces compared, the Keystone shape improves level and smoothness over any standard termination size.

Many (dozens) more shapes and sizes were tested, the 306 square inch Keystone exit size (which turned out to be within a few square inches of what a "normal" exit should be for this TH) had the most extended, smooth response of any.

Art Welter
Attached Images
File Type: png Keystone, 300 sq..png (51.8 KB, 1033 views)
File Type: png Keystone&full width.png (70.1 KB, 1025 views)
File Type: jpg Keystone Both sides.jpg (57.2 KB, 1125 views)

Last edited by weltersys; 12th April 2011 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Added recent photograph
Old 12th April 2011, 06:14 PM   #24
NEO Dan is offline NEO Dan  United States
diyAudio Member

It looks like you've used the keystone to extend the mouth opening to the driver tap?
Do you think that a TH where the driver is not recessed into the horn would have a benefit from a keystone mouth?

Good to see you got your Mac back up and running.
Old 12th April 2011, 07:02 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEO Dan View Post
It looks like you've used the keystone to extend the mouth opening to the driver tap?
Do you think that a TH where the driver is not recessed into the horn would have a benefit from a keystone mouth?
Yes, the thinner portion of the Keystone mouth does extend nearly to the center of the driver.
Since heat rises, having the speaker's rear cooling vents near the upper portion of the Keystone exit also gives thermal advantages.

I think many upright fold TH which have the final exit making a roughly 90 degrees turn would benefit from the Keystone mouth, whether or not the driver is located at the very end (mouth) of the horn.

The Keystone shaped exit would probably offer no advantage in the type of tapped horns where the final segment is pointed forward with the driver located at the mouth.

Art Welter

Last edited by weltersys; 12th April 2011 at 07:06 PM.
Old 12th April 2011, 10:37 PM   #26
Djim is offline Djim  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Art, did you try a similar key opening (same mouth area) in different position in relation to your final one?

(Danley seems to use a similar approach and I'm curious about those results)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Keystone Both sides2.jpg (33.6 KB, 1017 views)

Last edited by Djim; 12th April 2011 at 10:41 PM.
Old 13th April 2011, 03:43 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

The Danley TH mouths are not shaped for response, it's merely the expansion of the horn. I referring to the TH812, TH28, and TH50.
Old 13th April 2011, 04:05 AM   #28
Djim is offline Djim  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Maybe not Dan, maybe it's nothing more then a design solution in the TH28. I was just wondering about the results of the "Art-key-opening" in relation to its position. If it still works the way it suppose to and if it behaves perhaps a tiny little better in the lowest octave.

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by Djim; 13th April 2011 at 04:12 AM.
Old 13th April 2011, 03:34 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djim View Post
Art, did you try a similar key opening (same mouth area) in different position in relation to your final one?

(Danley seems to use a similar approach and I'm curious about those results)
Danley's unusual horn mouth shapes are whatever is "left over" after the folds are done.
The TH 28 exit shape is determined by the speaker baffle position, the same cover can be put on the “front” or the “side” of the cabinet to give location options.

The Keystone shape, with the horn's fold orientation, allows a compromise between a “too large” and “too small” opening.
Too large an opening provides more upper response with less low end, too small makes for a lower LF corner but less upper response.

I did not try asymmetrical openings.
The “sideways” keystone in your picture would work about the same as a 300 square inch opening at the bottom of the cabinet, as shown in the chart in post #23.

The sketches below show the various shapes tried before (and after) arriving at the Keystone shape.
The list of tests is actually only a fraction of the tests performed, many “in between” area tests were done and not saved.

Early in the testing one shape seemed promising, the extended upper response turned out to be a clamp resonating on a piece of wood.
After discovering that problem, each test required walking a 200 foot round trip twice, once to set the clamps and pieces of plywood in place, back to the shop to turn the pink noise on, then back outside to listen for any rattles and correct them if necessary. In retrospect I could have just unplugged the cabinet and saved half of those trips, but probably would have worn out the plugs from hot patching.

Of particular interest, the shapes in “E” and “N”, although similar in cross sectional area in relation to the horn path, did not smooth out the response, or increase SPL like the keystone shape.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Test Sheets.jpg (64.2 KB, 394 views)
File Type: jpg TH Tests.jpg (107.7 KB, 386 views)
File Type: jpg Keystone Fold.jpg (11.2 KB, 382 views)
Old 13th April 2011, 03:45 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djim View Post
Maybe not Dan, maybe it's nothing more then a design solution in the TH28.
Agreed

Hide this!Advertise here!