Keystone Sub Using 18,15,&12 Inch Speakers - Page 16 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th February 2013, 07:45 PM   #151
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m R g S r View Post
Well consider this, the Danley TH-118 with a driver similar to the B&C 18SW115 (might not be the exact off the shelf spec) is very very similar to the TH-18 cabinet (with the increased path length and \_/ throat)
Has anyone reported that the DSL TH-118 sounds distressed at high output?
The DSL TH-118 uses a "V" throat.
The XOC1 TH-18 is similar to DSL's design other than lacking that detail.

The only complaints of DSL TH-118 sounding distressed at high output were with some early 18Sound drivers that had suspension problems.
The DSL TH-118 cabinets now use the B&C 18SW115-4.
Old 15th February 2013, 08:01 PM   #152
diyAudio Member

I know Art, you just repeated what I said lol.

To be more specific, the cabinet in which PSAC built and tested, and commented that it sounded distressed at high drive levels, was the original TH-18, without the V throat. (The same cabinets I built and loaded with 18 sound 2400 drivers)

I was saying that; on a TH-18 with a V throat, and a B&C 18sw115-4 driver (you're assuming that Danley just uses an off the shelf driver right? Or has he mentioned that he hasn't had a batch of drivers modified to his spec) it should sound very very similar to the DSL TH-118 cabinet.

Sorry for the confusion.
Old 15th February 2013, 08:41 PM   #153
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m R g S r View Post
To be more specific, the cabinet in which PSAC built and tested, and commented that it sounded distressed at high drive levels, was the original TH-18, without the V throat. (The same cabinets I built and loaded with 18 sound 2400 drivers)

I was saying that; on a TH-18 with a V throat, and a B&C 18sw115-4 driver (you're assuming that Danley just uses an off the shelf driver right? Or has he mentioned that he hasn't had a batch of drivers modified to his spec) it should sound very very similar to the DSL TH-118 cabinet.
When I noticed in an online picture that there were two different drivers being used in DSL TH-118s, Ivan Beaver of DSL informed me that they (as of the time just before this post started) had gone from an 18Sound driver to the B&C 18SW115-4.

The XOC1 TH-18 with a "V" throat would be almost a direct copy of the DSL-TH-118, I would expect loaded with the same driver it would sound very similar.

For that matter, since the Keystone FR and phase response are quite similar to the DSL-TH-118, I'd expect them to sound similar also.
Old 15th February 2013, 08:52 PM   #154
NEO Dan is offline NEO Dan  United States
diyAudio Member

Hey Art,
If ever you are measuring again, it would be nice to see some impedance plots for the Keystone TH. REW has this capability now, and hey it even works on Mac.
Old 15th February 2013, 10:37 PM   #155
Xoc1 is offline Xoc1  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

The Keystone Cabinet has the advantage of many prototypes built by Art who has a wealth of practical experience of designing and using PA systems.
The Xoc1 TH18 on the other hand is something I created on my computer with CAD, Hornresp and Akabak.
I posted it up on the forum in a discussion, and it took off in a way that I could not of imagined. 149000 views and counting, and builds all over the world, and that's just the ones that we know about!
Just for the record I have never built one.
When I first posted the plan of the TH18 the internal fold of the DSL TH115/118 was not widely known, and certainly not known by me!
Could the TH18 be improved? - Definitely
Some builders have adjusted the design themselves and gained improvements.
Would a Mk2 Xoc1TH18 be uncomfortably close to the DSL TH118? Very probably.
Using the TH118 dimensions was unfortunate, Especially as it turned out that the TH118 has the geometry of a 15" TH cab with a 18" driver squeezed into it!
All the information is there in the forum, but no one to my knowledge has yet posted a single example of a DSL TH118 style build. There must be a reason for that and personally I feel that the reason has a lot to do with a certain amount of respect for Tom Danley.
Regards Xoc1
Old 18th February 2013, 10:47 PM   #156
maxo is offline maxo  United States
diyAudio Member

well it is just matter of getting a DSL TH118 and open it up to see the insides,
but.... who will want to spend that amount of cash just to build one for itself and/or
just for curiosity
Old 18th February 2013, 11:22 PM   #157
NEO Dan is offline NEO Dan  United States
diyAudio Member

Hey Max,
I think you missed the part where Martin basically states He's not into making or helping to make plans for Tom's designs.
Old 18th February 2013, 11:35 PM   #158
maxo is offline maxo  United States
diyAudio Member

dan,
and i dont mean it in anyway, what i said is just the obvious... there is a big chance that in some part of the world somebody have done it and for obvious reasons he or them dont post the plans online....but i really dont want that martin or anybody post the plans.. in the other hand if i had that money right now on my hand probably i hired somebody to make me 2 keystones with the 100tbx 15" driver and with the change get a bigass amp for them...
Old 9th March 2013, 11:28 AM   #159
diyAudio Member

So, about the Keystone - this is the Keystone thread, right? <3

Would making it 3" taller, 2" wider and *maybe* 1" deeper give it enough volume/path length to allow it to play a few Hz lower without sacrificing efficiency? I can comfortably pack those dimensions (my pair of TH-18s for example) in the back of our Pilot.

If so, I'd like to give the Keystone a shot and if there were any upgrade I'm after, it'd be a little more LF extension. However, the Keystone was designed around the SW115 and my SW100 doesn't seem to excel too well as is, unfortunately.

If I knew how the .dwg and dimensions (extending/reducing certain panel lengths and distances) translate to Hornresp inputs, I would definitely attempt this myself. Sad to say, I haven't reached that point yet.

Good to hear REW received some additions. I'll have to give it another shot on my Mac again.
Old 9th March 2013, 02:39 PM   #160
PASC is offline PASC  Brazil
diyAudio Member

Hi!

One box with 18NLW9600, into a big warehouse, floor concrete, around 8 M from nearest wall, just in front of the gate where trucks can pass into place.
That's a measurement thru DSP 8024, with ECM 8000, pink noise, thru an amp capable to deliver 2300WRMS continous at 8 ohms (not that 33ms sh**), just flashing eventually the limiter light, LR24 20 till 200Hz.
This mic does not tell true response below 50Hz, as you may Know.
Sorry for poor picture.

http://img1.uploadhouse.com/fileuplo...4a4cb67c09.jpg

Regards,

Hide this!Advertise here!