Horn Extender/Wave-guide for TH

Hi all!
I've been inspired by DIY Hi-Fi's photos of their horn extenders and wanted to make a set for my 30Hz modified tapped horns to make them more directional and increase SPL.
The link is to a TH with 35 Hz response, the extenders as you propose won't do much to lower frequency response, but will make them more directional and increase SPL.
Side note, I unfortunately cannot run Hornresp because I own a mac so these dimensions aren't concrete or based in anything. Don't kill me haha
You can use Wine to operate Hornresp on a Mac.
Wine:Hornresp.png

Have fun!

I set the THAM15 and the resonator up in the garden yesterday and tried to make some quick measurements. As a first result, the resonator seems to work. Subjectively, it boosts the bass quite noticeably, adds chest punch and a bit of character, the bass seems rougher. maybe "tactile" is the right word.

Not sure, how reliable the measurements are really, due to background noise and nearby walls (at 6 meters approx). I couldn't specify the voltage, so matching the curves by signal was a bit complicated. Will repeat together with a friend, who is an experienced semi-professional with better equipment.

Driven at aprox. 1kw, the resonator enhanced THAM15 played against two of these Jobst JL-Sat10 tops. Not sure, if two resonator-enhanced THAMS wouldn't outplay them. Seems like I need stronger tops....

For now:
Measurements were taken using a miniDSP UMIK-1, without filters applied, at 0m and 1m distance, in standing and lying position, with and without the resonator (with resonator only in lying position).

Standing at 0m (blue) vs. 1m (brown)

attachment.php
attachment.php

Lying at 0m vs. 1m:
attachment.php

attachment.php

Seems like in lying position it looses a little bit of power:

attachment.php

First measurement of the reso:

attachment.php

Weird notch at 90hz. Didn't make much difference at 0m, 1m and 3m. I was a bit disappointed. Resetup and measured again:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Not sure, were the notch went, but it didnt occur again. Any Ideas?

I am aware that this measurements can only serve as a starting point. Next up is better measurements, also in stacking.
Is the notch a discontinuity between The resonator up front and the rear path? This iis easy to seee/ more obvious in a parallel version where horn response exposes it nicely, if not 3:1 in lengths from both closed ends.. or in OD TLs trying to ‘fix’ the 3Fb notch

Attachments

• 4811014D-BEFF-45D6-B656-D2020DEB6C42.jpeg
    4811014D-BEFF-45D6-B656-D2020DEB6C42.jpeg
    168.2 KB · Views: 54
  • D1A27684-4120-4ABA-A539-087ABC2AC8DA.jpeg
    D1A27684-4120-4ABA-A539-087ABC2AC8DA.jpeg
    203 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Wow that's quite a bit of time , speaking of that
I noticed that there is no major new designs in the past 10 to 14years

Weltersys Keystone, XOC1 TH18, Jbell SS15
Crescendo FT30 and mRgSr PAL12

If I miss some other popular design just paste it here

Now i see that ODTL is the new trend but not any major breakthrough.

Only thing is that some drivers are no longer made and the TH's need to be tweaked.

Wish is have discovered this new hobby 15 years back when drivers were affordable:(

Drivers haven't really outpaced inflation as a category IMO. But to the topic of mouth extenders, I'm going to be adding some large roundovers into my system using engineered half-round ply. One 12" diameter half-round will be set up to be a bottom "lip" for the midbass horn, aiming it up towards the listening area, while a second lip will be cut to do the same for the top (this is a 90x40 exponential horn, so it's a straight flare, just have to line the angles up) but trimmed to aim the midbass and midtweet horn patterns for maximum overlap by 6'. This gives me a rather dramatic increase in mouth area for both horns, and should help reduce any pattern flip issues and mouth diffraction. It'll look funny but I'm okay with that, not a lot of ways to shoehorn proper horn loading into a smaller-room rig from 200-20k. The horizontal flares are longer (obviously) and better-terminated but I may very well add additional treatment in that dimension as well, probably lossy for space efficiency, gaining pattern control and limiting diffraction but not much efficiency or truly controlled bandwidth.

They unfortunately just weren't able to fit in my space so after knocking it around a bit they've been shelved. Accordingly my solutions have shifted to best blending into boundaries and using damping at the horn mouth terminations, and using a couple floofy dog beds to soak up floor bounce. I'm also playing with fill channels (See the CBTs on poles) and updating my DSP to a minidsp Flex HTx; which will be a 3x8 matrix for L//R/LFE into the 4 way active mains. HT//multich processing will remain with the McIntosh Mx121 for now (low noise floor and I don't have 7k for the newest marantz pre/pro).

I'll take a quick pic of the backend of the room here... after 10-15 min of cleaning up. The art deco panels are from GIK acoustics, a diffusor on top of a 4" absorber, the painting is absorber only, as are the little burgundy panels by the TT stand. The blue are just a hodgepodge of scraps from another project plus a rattlecan. I kind of dig 'em so they stay for now. In front of the CC is a large absorbtive panel between it and the floor, along with the dog beds.

So pretty heavily treated, but given the limited space it's all relatively low-profile stuff. Best room I've had yet though!

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 user