need help with tapped horn calculation...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi tb46, in my last post I was referring to "epa"'s design. Is it a tapped horn?
Well, TH was my first idea, because I wanted to try something "new" for me, and the building is not so hard.
If the result is not satisfactory, I can consider another kind of loading, if it's not too hard to build.

Thanks A LOT epa, you are right, I did not seected "tapped horn" in the driver arrangement.
Sorry for my stupid question, I have always seen TH with S4>S1, is it still a TH if S4<S1?
What is the difference between the 2 systems?
Have you chacked also the displacement?
well its not actualy a tapped horn but a tqwtp,wich is infact a tapped horn reversed (sort of:))
a tapped horns starts small and become's bigger at the end.
a tqwtp starts big and becommes smaller towards the end.
it al depends on the driver,and wat you are looking for.
a tapped horn has more output,and a tqwtp has more bandwith.
i also moddeled a straight pipe (s1=s2=s3=s4)(what should we call that ?):D

its basicly the same principal,you can model a tqwtp the same as th in hr.
hope this helps:)
regards erik

edit\the pic shows the output @ x-max

Last edited:
Hi morpheus82,

Epa's numbers refer to bjorno's design, a T-TQWT. The driver is the problem. For a TH you end up with a much bigger enclosure, see attachment, I would recommend against it.

Regards,

Attachments

• TH.jpg
    TH.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 197
wow...I made some mistake in calculation...
I did some simulations with a "reverse" TH, starting with 500cm2, and with s3=150cm2, length about 2meters. Not bad really...
One question, do I have to take into account the length of the "bend" in the middle of the horn?
And, if S4 is on the back of the driver, how can I calculate the l34? As a quarter of circumference?

Well, not really changing...
My idea is to try the tapped horn, because I'm curious to hear the result.
Then my target for volume is around 80 liters, but I can change this value...
Thanks bjorno for your simulation, looks very good! But you used parabolic sections, how can I achieve easily a parabolic section? Conical one is very easy...

Sorry for this very late picture answer:

b:)

Attachments

• Sintel_PAR-versus-Con.JPG
    Sintel_PAR-versus-Con.JPG
    225 KB · Views: 172
thanks Bjorno, your response looks very good...;)
I want to try this first:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

It's in comparison with yours, mine is not so flat, but I can go a little deeper in frequency...With 10V I reach the xmax @ 25Hz, not bad!:D
Even if it's far from being flat...
I will give it a try since the box is almost finished...

One more question...
I set S1=550cm2, S2=500, L12=15cm, S3=175cm2, L23=180cm, S4=700cm2 and L34=15cm.
So S4>>S3.
Hornresp gives a warning about accuracy of the calculations, do I have to take care about it? Is the response much different?
the mouth expands verry quickly,as a result it wil unload at that point,
its diffecult to predict the outcome(hence the warning)
there is no golden rule:)
maybe bild a beta box first?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.